How do I know when to pick a cantalope?

We have a nice hill of cantalope but I am not sure how to tell when they are ripe. Can someone tell me how to tell when they are ready?

momthruivf

Asked by momthruivf at 7:06 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• not sure how to pick one on the vine, lol, but at the market I always smell the stem end, if it smells like cantelope it will be a good one.
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 7:16 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• when you start having ants gather around the vine stem, if you don't have insecticide put down of course. anyway, they will gather and start drinking the sugary syrup from the stem when it is fully ripe. sometimes, the vine will come off by itself when ripe. or when the bottoms of the fruit are a dull yellow color, different from the tan outside flesh.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My Papa who lives in MO and is 95 says the more "gold" they are the more ripe. It has always held true for me and I live in Ohio. I would say at 95 he has eaten a few in his time. lol
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:31 PM on Sep. 15, 2009