If it isn't sugar, he don't want it!

My 4 year old step son, won't eat anything unless is has sugar in it. I cook 3 meals a day and he won't eat anything I cook. Instead he want's junk food!!! What do I do?

Maidan

Asked by Maidan at 7:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• dont worry! just put your foot down...tell him the sweets are a reward..let him earn his sweets if need be...in the meantime just make sure he has a vitamin every day....if hes hungry enough he will eat! but dont give in!
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 7:44 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would suggest not giving in. You would not be "starving" him. He will eat what you cook when he is hungry enough. If you have tried to make him eat your food and then given in and handed him the junk, well, this will be much harder. I would suggest making things that he likes. Maybe simple things like mac and cheese and hot dogs, or whatever. That is the first decent thing my sister could get her stepdaughter to eat. She would also incorporate the little girl in the cooking and that helped her want to eat the food. Good luck!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Who's the adult here? make 1 meal and if he doesn't eat, then he doesn't eat. Once he gets hungry enough, he will eat what you make. Otherwise, if you give in even once, he wins and you will have a hard time winning that control back
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Get rid of the junk. If it isn't in the house he can't have it. Kid's won't starve. Eventually they give up and will eat what is offered to them so don't worry about starving him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I had to do this with a step daughter regarding pickles, of all things. She would eat nothing and I mean nothing but pickles. Finally one day I got upset about the entire matter and threw out every form of pickle in the house. Every last one. I never bought pickles again until she was eating normally. It took some whining, but after a few days she began to eat just like the other children and we could have pickles back again for a sometimes treat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2009