is it wrong to have a baby shower for your second pregnancy?

im pregnant with my second child and having another boy. when i brought up the idea of having a shower i got bombarded with negativity. i was told that you only have one shower and that is only with your first child. is this true? and if it is why? im okay with not having a full blown out shower but whats wrong with a little one?

conroymommy23

Asked by conroymommy23 at 8:08 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• gah I just wrote a long answer lol
    Page went back

OK The "rules" are that if your 2nd is the same sex as the 1st then you arent supposed to have another one
    People call it tacky
    If you want one then go ahead.
    The "rules" also are like youdont throw your own LOL
    If you want you can have a meet the baby party after he is here.
    And people can bring stuf for himthen
    People expect you to reuse cribs and stuff
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:33 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Why would it be...the party is for the BABY not for the MOTHER...I don't get what people get so up in arms about this. If it were called a Mymmy Shower then I would get it but it's not, it's called a BABY shower. OR for the second, third, etc.. you could call it a Baby Sprinkle.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I wouldn't say it's wrong. I would do it ..mainly because my DD is almost 10 and I don't have any of her baby stuff anymore and if I got pregnant it would be quite the surprise!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• In my family you get a second one if you are having a different sex than the first or if it has been 5 years or more between the babies.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I didn't have one for my 1st. My in-laws threw one for my with my 2nd. Even if I'd had one for my 1st, I still would have wanted one for my 2nd since there's almost 6 years between them.
    I say go ahead and have one. Maybe tell people you don't want big stuff (like a crib), and just need the smaller stuff (onesies, baby blankets, etc.), unless there's a big age (5 or more years) difference & you've gotten rid of all the baby stuff.
    As someone else said, the party is for the baby, so there's no reason you shouldn't have one for each baby you have.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 8:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Or do a diaper party or let the guys have one. The idea is that you sit and socialize and have something to drink and every one who comes brings a pack of diapers. This is something they can't expect you to re-use.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would say if someone else is throwing it for you then it is okay. If I was going to throw a shower for myself I would have a welcome to the world party for the baby after he/she arrives instead of the normal baby shower. I would think that would be more acceptable. I had a shower for my first. With my second I didn't but they were both boys and only 13 months apart. I just had my third, a girl. The girls that I worked with had a little shower for me at work but I didn't have one with any other friends and family. I did register with my third since I didn't have girl things and then when friends and family asked what I needed I just told them that I made a registry so I had a check list for myself and they could check it out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'm pregnant with #4 and my family INSISTS on having a shower for the baby. They claim it's beacuse there such a gap between my youngest and this baby. I have protested only because it's #4 and we're capable. But, I have given in to the older woman, I don't want to hurt any feelings.

But, go for it. Your only on #2!
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 10:18 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I won't have another baby shower for my second, but we will have a "meet the baby party". Of course I will request no gifts even though we are not find out the sex of the baby until birth.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 10:22 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think it doesn't matter what number baby it is, but I'm hoping someone else is throwing the shower. It's considered inappropriate to throw a shower for yourself. But if your family or friends want to throw a shower for you then let them. Especially if you are having a different sex, or there has been a long gap between babies.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:24 AM on Sep. 14, 2009