What can I use in a carpet cleaning machine?

My carpets are filthy!! FILTHY!!!! And NO, I have no pets. Just kids and a husband. And neighborhood kids that come in and out all the time. I am going to rent a carpet cleaning machine, but I can not afford to buy the $20 soap too. Anyhow, does anyone have an secrets to help get my carpets cleaner. I was thinking white vinegar. Any thoughts on that??

eluc

Asked by eluc at 8:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Home & Garden

• All I have ever put in one of those is the cleaner you rbuy .
    I do use the resolve carpet cleaner it works for us
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• unfortunately the only thing that works IS the rug shampoo...it has a ratio of soap in it that prevents it from bubbling too much and clogging the machine...using anything else can cause damage to the machine...i also dont reccomend vinegar on rugs...it can discolor your rug...and the smell would take FOREVER to fade.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I DO NOT want to damage the machine. i can only imagine how much that would cost. Thanks for the input. I may pretreat them with resolve!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 9:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Just use water! I have a carpet cleaner that I use every few months or so. I have 2 dogs, a son, and a husband. I just used hot water and it seems to do great. I have also used odoban, it helps with the odors and won't leave a musty smell. Oh and I hate carpets haha. They are such a pain to keep clean. Most of our house is hardwood but there is one room that is the main walking area from the door to the bathroom and bedrooms, its carpet, i would love to take the carpet up.
    sweetjpea

Answer by sweetjpea at 2:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Forget the resolve, seriously. It's garbage. Use plain hot water. Buy a bottle of club soda and get your spots with that and a clean white towel. Do not buy the crappy soap they sell, do not buy resolve or spot shot or any of those other crappy spotters--they will just end up leaving a sticky residue on the carpet. Use plain hot water, and try to extract AS MUCH as possible back out so you don't leave the carpets sopping wet, which can create a mildew issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I use Tide he the low suds kind, works great no over sudsing and smells awesome
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 4:30 PM on Sep. 15, 2009