How does freezing affect the nutritional quality of breastmilk?

I have breastfed all 4 of my children. With my 4th I've been doing a lot of pumping and storing, because we're on the go quite a bit with my 3 older children. I just have never seen any studies/information on how freezing affect the quality and was wondering if anyone else knew?

Asked by missanc at 8:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It has a small effect but not enough to make it un-nutritional in value.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My ds was in the NICU for 2 months after birth. The nurses had me freeze my milk & bring it in every few days. They said freezing doesn't affect it. The way it is heated does, though. It should be thawed & heated by putting the container in a bowl of warm water, never in the microwave.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 8:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I froze my milk a lot while mine was little and it didn't affect the amount of nutrition that she got. She is a happy, healthy 14 mo old who has only been sick 2 times.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• So freezing affect the vitamins/minerals in fruits and veggies, but not in breastmilk?

Answer by missanc at 9:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• you women are very smart.. that's why there are so many of us!!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 2:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009