Will computers someday help to eliminate entirely the use of paper?

On what instances do computers replace paper?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think it would be wise for me to give our workers a computer and tell them "Here's your plans" and for them to carry a computer out in the field. Could you imagine workers holding a computer and setting structural steel while harnessed 60ft in the air? I don't think so. I revise and print plans everyday, multiple times a day, and must distribute at least 5 copies in the field; or I email them and they can print and distribute accordingly. Everything in contruction must be printed out and handed over to the owners when completed, this includes all ASI, RFIs, RFCs, As builts, plans and revisions, meeting minutes, completion reports, inspections. Computers will never replace paper in the construction field, just not going to happen. I am a post it or index card nut when it comes to jotting down notes or making quick revisions to plans.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 11:41 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i dont know if it will COMPLETELY replace paper...but it IS affecting the post office...my stepdad is a postman, and he gets a 4hour lunch due to lack of mail....sad...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 8:55 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• How many hours until your assignment is due?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:57 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think it will replace most paper. Right now I can't see racing to the computer to make a quick note when taking a phone call- jotting down a number or date, for example. And for confirming an action, being able to mail a copy in a certified manner so that the date is officially recorded- although in time they'll likely find a way to do this online, right now the mail is useful for this.

Answer by Bmat at 9:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Not all, but most. You can now pay bills, read news articles, look up information, ALL through the internet now a days. You can even pay to download books now.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Oh, let's not forget online schooling. I havent touched an actual piece of paper since starting my college courses online... besides my printed out syllabus anyway (which I can also view from the internet).
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• ENTIRELY? No....but hopefully Marijuana/hemp will be legalized & we can one again start making paper out of hemp. An EXTREMELY renewable source. And the paper would be better quality.

But, paper will forever be around....hello...BOOKS?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:14 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• But, paper will forever be around....hello...BOOKS? <----- HELLO... Kindle.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• No mail carrier has a 4 hour lunch. Someone is lying. My husband is a mail carrier and they get a 30 min. lunch. MAX. If they take a one hour lunch and someone finds out, they'd be in BIG trouble. Things are slow but he's NOT getting 4 hour lunches.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You CANNOT wipe your AZZ with a comp.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2009