Why so many sties?

My daughter gets sties on average of once every 3-4 months. Most are quite small and go away within 3 days or so. But some can be pretty stubborn and painful looking, although she never complains. We just use a compress to get rid of them and she's golden.
We keep her hair out of her eyes, wash her face and hands regularly, do everything we can to prevent oil and bacteria from getting in there but they still occur. Has anyone had this happen? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Misfit_Mumma

Asked by Misfit_Mumma at 9:38 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Could be a hormonal imbalance.

My mother kept sties constantly throughout her pregnancy & I know someone who frequently gets them coinsiding with her menstrual cycles.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• A former neighbor of mine had a husband & daughter who both got frequent sties. In their case it was because of something being wrong with the oil duct so that it couldn't drain properly, causing it to clog and a sty would form. Both her husband & daugher had outpatient surgery for it and, although they still got sties, they were much, much less frequently.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Thank you, ladies. I've never heard of either of these causes. Wow.
    Misfit_Mumma

Answer by Misfit_Mumma at 5:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009