Q-1: Has anyone else been induced before their cervix was "ready"? (I'm only 1/2cm dilated and 50% effaced.)

Q-1: Has anyone else been induced before their cervix was "ready"? (I'm only 1/2cm dilated and 50% effaced. As far as as I know, I have not lost my mucus plug. My OB said that because my cervix wasn't progressing the induction may fail, which menas that I may have to have a c-section. I've heard of other women being sent home, but she didn't say anything about that. I've also heard that a lot of times you go in the night before the induction to receive some kind of vaginal gel/suppository that causes or helps the cervix to efface and dilate, but she didn't mention anything about that either.)

Q-2: How long did you have to wait for pain medication? (Sorry I'm not the Wonder Woman type. I'm actually quite a wimp, and I want any and all available pain relief as soon as possible.)

Q-3: How long were you in labor before your OB decided the induction failed and preformed a c-sec? (This is my second, but my first w

nataliserene

Asked by nataliserene at 9:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all, if you are induced that does not mean you will have to have a C section.
    Q1-I was eight days late ( and we knew the day I conceived, so we were not miscalculating my due date ), 1/2-dilated and 50% effaced also, at the time I was induced.

Q2-I had to wait about 14 hours for pain meds. But during that first 14 hours I barely felt any pain at all, so I did not need them. At 14 hours after my induction started, I got stadol, which is an analgesic and it just gave me a short nap. Four hours after I got the stadol, I was in a lot of pain, so I asked for an epidural and they gave it to me. After that the labor and delivery was smooth sailing with absolutely no pain or even pressure.

Q3-I delivered my son vaginally. He was 9 lbs 8 oz and 22 inches long. My doctor did not even mention C sec to me at all. If you are lucky, your doc has a good head on their shoulders and won't push a C sec on you. GL :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I was induced with my 3rd due to gestational diabetes and it went so smoothly. I was about 1cm dilated, but that's really nothing. I did not go in the night before, I went in that afternoon (was supposed to be there that morning, but they didn't have any beds available) and they started the IV pitocin. I was in labor in no time, and I had an epidural when I was like 4-5 cm, as soon as I started feeling pain. The IV was started at 6 and by 11:15 I had a beautiful baby girl.

Answer by missanc at 9:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If your doctor doesn't think you should be induced then don't push it. Your doctor wants what is best for you and your baby. How far along are you? If you want to make progress start walking walking walking!!!!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• with my first child, my progress was the same as yours (1/2 cm, etc) and i was already 2 weeks late! I was induced at 7am, and had my son at 5:40pm. The contractions were so light at the very beginning i didnt need any pain meds (probably because i wasnt dialated AT ALL) but around 12:30pm i started really feeling them and i received my epidural and it worked perfectly.

I was told that if I did not deliver within 24 hrs of my water being broke they perform the c-section.
    but i did not have to have one.

hope this info helps! =)
    amberstevens

Answer by amberstevens at 10:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have not, but a friend of my was. She and the baby were put through 2 entire days of pitocin (the induction drug that makes contractions stronger and last longer than natural contractions) , then threatened her with a c-section. Luckily she was able to birth the baby without the need of such intervention.

She didn't get the epidural but had stadol (sp).

Personally, if there was no pressing medical reason to do an induction, I wouldn't do it!
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 10:19 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• With my first child I was a few days late and went to the hospital with false labor. They kept me because I had toxemia. I was not dilated at all. "0". They induced me from 9am Friday morning until 8am Monday morning. No suppositories or anything. Finally, 9:45 Monday morning they did an emergency c-section....I was still "0", but my blood pressure was dangerously high. So, yes I was induced without my cervix being ready, and it didn't work.

As far as pain....because I wasn't dilating, I really didn't have any pain. I had discomfort across my abdomen it felt like a hug band squeezing my uterus with each contraction, but it wasn't really painful, I think probably dilation hurts more than the actual contractions so no medication was necessary.

I think every experience is different. Try to relax, and trust your doctor. Good Luck! Wishing you a healthy and happy delivery.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:20 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I tried and failed. They did not do the cervidal as he wanted to see what the pitocin would do on its own. The pitocin did nothing and I was given the choice to get the cervidal (gel that loosens the cervix) and more pitocin, break my water and run the risk of getting a c section or go home. I was 38 weeks and 1cm...we opted to go home. God has a plan for us all so I didn't want to push it. Here I am at 40 weeks and the baby still hasn't come!! He simply wasn't ready and I don't regret pushing the induction. Good luck!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I was induced with my first baby and I did go in the night before around 7 or 8 I believe. They did give me the gel/suppository. I didn't even feel my contractions. I wasn't dilated. They had to break my water. It wasn't working. After hours, hours and more hours they told me I could keep trying or I could have a c-section. I chose the c-section. My son was born at 4:55 pm the day after I went into the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I was induced at 50% effaced and 1 Cm-My stupid doctor didn't use the Bishop scale and I had to have a c section as the end result.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers. I feel much better, and am now more excited and less nervous about Thursday morning. :-)
    nataliserene

Answer by nataliserene at 8:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009