clothes everywhere....

my daughter clothes are everywhere.i keep them now in the living room on a chair.so i can see them when she gets ready for school.but this doesnt seem to be working.she has dressers in her room.but she fills them with stuff and messes them up.(i know i know)i like them out so i can see them..what can i do about this..please dont say bins cause we have more bins than heinz has pickles....any ideas....

nana77500

Asked by nana77500 at 9:40 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Umm, how old is she?

Answer by missanc at 9:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i am afraid to say.....ya she is 10.....ya so i baby her alittle...lol...i am giving myself that message as i am writing this...hmm maybe i baby her alot....
    nana77500

Answer by nana77500 at 10:01 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• yeah - my daughter is 8 and was making a mess of her drawers, so I made her stay in her room one afternoon until it was straightened up. It took her a long time, so now she's more careful when she's putting her clothes away. At bedtime she lays out her clothes for the next day on her chair, down to which barrettes she's going to wear so it's all together. Makes it much easier the next morning, no questions.
    If you like them out where you can see them, why not hang them on hangers in her closet? Or I saw on a design show last week where they had taken pictures of the clothes and posted them on a wall - it would take a little time but with a digital cam would be fairly easy.

Answer by missanc at 10:21 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I started taking clothes away. If the kids couldn't keep their drawers neat that meant they had too many clothes so I culled them and took anything that was slightly small or way at the bottom (meaning it hadn't been worn in awhile). They all cried. The mess continued so I took all the clothes on the floor and packed them up. Those were their favorite clothes. They cried even more. Then I made them do their own laundry. Now they put their clothes in the hamper, bring it down to the basement, wash and dry the clothes, bring them up (with help if needed) and fold them in the living room and then take them to their room to put away.
    Having to do their own laundry has helped the most. They are 9, 8 and almost 7 (the 7yo just helps put the clothes in...I do the actual washing but the other 2 do their own laundry with no help).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:25 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Due to limited space, my kids don't have a dresser but do have shelves in the closet for their clothes. They are 13, 11 and are responsible for putting their dirty clothes in the hamper, taking dirty laundry downstairs, and putting away their clean clothes. I put the folded clean clothes on their beds and when they get home they are supposed to put them away. If I find clean clothes on the floor by the closet (my 11yr old sometimes roots around on his shelf and knocks stuff down) I toss it on the bed to be put away. If clothes are not put away - in a timely manner- they get a warning and then if that does not work a consequence. I feel my boys are old enough to be responsible for their clothes and put them away.
    My 3yr old has a changer/dresser that his clothes fit in, right now I take responsibility for his clothes, but when he gets a bit older I will have him help out till he can do it all himself.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:59 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The best advise I can give is to do what I have done with my 2 older boys (almost 7 and 4). All of their clothes that can be hung, are on hangers in their closet. They no longer even have a dresser in their room, they did the same as you say your DD is. In my laundry area I have one of the small plastic 3 drawer dressers, like you get at Walmart or where ever for about $15. Anything of theirs that cannot go on a hanger, socks, underwear, shorts, goes into that dresser.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 11:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Why is there clothes in the living room. I wouldn't care if her clothes were under the bed,my living room area is for my sofa,loveseat,fireplace,and tables.If, you have a rec room,or a basement buy a closet from K-mart or Wal-mart,you can put her clothes in that,also,if you have a dollar store near you, buy her some hangers, at 10 years old,she is old enough to laid out her clothes, and own enough to put her clothes away, there is no reason for someone to have clothes meet them at the door.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I am twenty-five and I still can't keep my clothes neat and organized. They explode all over the bedroom. By some miracle, I swear. When I'm running out, I'm usually too flustered to be bothered by the whole hanging, folding crap. I'm awful, I know! So... I cannot give you much of an advice. I'm lax in this area. As long as the rest of my house is clean, I could care less about the twenty-something outfits piled up on my bed. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009