Sleeping through the night...WWYD?

Ok, so I don't know what to do. I have an 8 month old baby. He is BF and gets solids 3 times a day. During the day he nurses like 5 times. He does the same thing at night. The problem is though he will nurse at like 10 when I go to bed. Get up at midnight to nurse. And then get up every hour or so until 5ish and then sleep until 7 or 8. This getting up is getting to me. So last night I tried a formula bottle since formula generally fills babies up more. Well I fed him from the bottle 3 times and he drank a total of 2oz. So now I discover that I am just being used as a comfort device. I was against giving him a water bottle at night because I thought he was actually eating but apparently he isn't. But I feel bad giving him a water bottle and I don't know why. I did with my oldest. That is how I got him to sleep through the night and stop using me for comfort. So what would you do? Continue to be used? Give a water bottle at nig

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 9:43 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would give him the water or try a pacifier. But you need to do what YOU are most comfortable with. Good Luck!
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Personally I would stop being his pacifier. You aren't hurting him by stoping, also you wouldn't be hurting him by continuing. But if you are tired and need the sleep then you will have to just stop. He doesn't need anything at night food wise. If he is healthy, and is growing properly then he gets all the nutrtion he needs during the day. Good luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• try to read the book "the no cry sleep solution". it has some good advice. but i just kept doing it until my son stopped on his own. i agree that he is not doing it because he's hungry, but out of habit and for comfort. that's totally normal though. but if you want to try to get more sleep, it will be a lot of work! that's why i never tried most of the stuff in that book. it really takes a lot of motivation, because i always just wanted to get back to sleep as soon as possible! lol. but he woke me every 2-4 hours until he was around 17 mos. then he started just waking once or twice per night. good luck to you!!!!!!!! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Does your baby sleep in a crib in your room? If he sleeps in your bed, I'm not surprised that he wakes up that often. And does he cry loudly when he wakes, or just makes noises? For both of my children, they did not sleep well till I moved them out of our room. What was happening, was that any little noise was disturbing them, and if they made some noise I would wake up, pick them up, afraid that they would cry & disturb my husband. What I discovered, when I moved them in to the next room, they started sleeping through the whole night. If they did wake, most of the time they went back to sleep by themselves,(without crying), if I didn't pick them up. If they actually cried, I would offer them a drink of water, but not pick them up, just pat them until they dozed off. Both my children slept through the night as soon as 7-9 mo. after I did that.I really enjoy my whole night's rest=) I have a 1yr. & a 3yr. old.
    RuthsPlace

Answer by RuthsPlace at 10:48 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• He sleeps in a pack and play at the foot of our bed. I would put him in his room but he is going to have to share a room with our other son and he doesn't need to be waking up his big brother throughout the night. I only pick him up when he is crying. He stands up and starts crying and screaming so I nurse him. It is just how it has been since he was born. Generally my husband doesn't hear him but I can't sleep if he is crying.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• just wanted to note that my son didn't co-sleep, slept in a crib in another room. just every time he woke up, wanting that comfort/time with mom.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009