Is it terrible to give away a dog?

last december we got a lab puppy. we don't have a fenced in back yard, but we thought it'll be ok..we really wanted her. well it ain't ok! now i have a dog even i cannot hardly walk much less the kids..i want whats best for the dog, and right now i feel guilty all the time because she stays chained up or in the house..even alot of time in her crate. she is like a small horse, and sooo rowdy, she hurts the kids just by being so boisterous...i feel bad but honestly the dog is not getting enouigh time spent with her..i feel like if i put all my energy into training her and bathing her and keeping everything off the floor we could keep her. but i have a 3, 5 and 8 year old..honestly i have no energy for her...tell me i'm horrible, tell me you've been here, tell me what you think.

jennypenny3000

Asked by jennypenny3000 at 10:00 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pets

• If you are doing it to improve the life of the dog, there is nothing wrong wit finding a new home for her. It's not fair to you, the kids, and the dog if none get the attention that they need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• There's nothing wrong with it. It would actually be worse for her if you kept her knowing that you couldn't give her the attention, time, training, and room to run that she needs. Just make sure you find a good home for her to go to. If you decide to get another dog in the future, do some research first to make sure you get a breed that will fit with your family, situation, home, etc.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 10:09 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think you are looking out for the best interests of the dog, so it's a good thing. The only time I feel it's a bad thing is if you turn the dog out to fend for itself or give it to some one who will harm the dog.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my husband thinks its terrible of me to give away a pet, but i think its shameful to keep a dog i know is being emotionally neglected...i think it would be a better example for the kids to do whats right for the dog...my husband is the one who said lets get a big dog not a smaller one and he grudgingly brings her in the house at night.. i have asked him time and time again to help me, to try to train her, etc.
    jennypenny3000

Answer by jennypenny3000 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• we got a pitbull pup this pasted christmas (the pup was great with the baby) I have always wanted a dog. But it was way to much trouble, like said she was either in the cage or outside most of the time. When she was out it was normal puppy stuff , peeing on the carpet , eatting things, ect. But in the spring we decided to move and the landlord said we could have the dog but she had to stay outside or in the basement. I didn't think that would be very good for her. Are neighbor watched the pup for us a few times whn we were out of town. They knew we were moving and told us if we couldn't take here they would. they have another dog that gets along with ours and a 6 year old who plays with the dog all the time. It was a great match. It was what was best for everyone. Finding a better home for your dog doesn't make you horribl it makes you responsible
    Draydensmom7708

Answer by Draydensmom7708 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Find her a new home, one where she will be cared for and treated right. I'm not saying you don't do all you can but if you can't take care of a pet full time then you have an obligation to find her a home where she will be taken cared of. You are without a doubt a special person to do what is right for this dog.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 10:17 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• No its not wrong to find the dog a new home, but I really wish people would think about these things before getting a puppy. They are just like having another child..... maybe next time if you want a dog try adopting an adult that is already trained.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• no i won't adopt an adult dog..but i will consider that my husband won't be much help in training and tending to the dog..so i'll be sure to get one small enough that the kids and i can handle it. and it can't devour everything in the house and poop like a horse. thanks for your concern.
    jennypenny3000

Answer by jennypenny3000 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Really, from someone who has had dogs of all sizes, temperments, and breeds, a smaller dog is not nessessarily easier. All dogs are hard to train - especially a small dog. For several reasons. Small dogs are easily intimidated, and therefore can very easily become a biter, or pee in fear. A small dog can and WILL chew. They can scramble right under your furniture and eat it from the bottom, pull couch stuffing out, poop in corners and behind things that are super hard to get to. Lots of smaller dogs have a difficult time being house-trained. Mine included. I've been a dog trainer, and trained MANY "problem" dogs. And my littler terrier mix was still pooping in the house from time to time up until last winter. Little dogs can be more likely to bite a child if it falls on them, or it feels intimidated from people their size.
    While you are right in re-homing your dog if you cannot train it.....
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 10:42 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• A lab is a very willing student! They do have a high energy level, and WANT to learn. If they are not given excersize and taught the proper way to act, they can become unruly. I don't know your situation with children and availibility to go to a river/woods...but your lab still could have a chance with you if you are willing.
    However, if that is not an option....give her up to someone that is willing to have an active life with this dog. And don't get another puppy assuming just because its poops are smaller that it's not going to poop all over your house! Or because its mouth is smaller it won't chew.
    Adopting an adult dog really would be your best choice if you'd like a dog and are not able to commit to training. Lots of great dogs need homes, and will not chew, pee, poop and be unruly in your home.
    BearlyXen

Answer by BearlyXen at 10:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2009