My dog wont stop killing cats

He has killed two of the neibors cats with a vengence, how can I get him to stop it with the cats

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pets

• I would think about keeping the dog in a fenced in area, you might have not many neighbors that will be friendly with you if it continues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• He's vicious and a danger to any animal, not just cats. I would even say small children could be a target if he's in the mood.

You need professional help for him.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 10:52 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I keep him in my back yard, the cats walk along the fence and he gets them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If he is in your yard in a fence then it is your neighbors fault. I am an absolute animal lover and do not want to see harm come to any animal but if you dog is secure in your yard then there is nothing you can do if another animal comes into your yard. My dogs have killed rabbits and squirrels in our fenced yard. However I also foster wildlife and they are not aggressive to them in the house, just in their yard. Your neighbor needs to be the responsible one and keep their cats in the house. That is why I do not believe in outdoor cats, too much can happen to them once they leave your property. As long as you dog is in your yard and not aggressive to your family or other pets in your house you are fine, your dog is just protecting its property.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Unfortunately, once a dog gets the taste of another animal, it's rare to teach them not to attack.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Jademom07, what National Enquirer story did you read that from?

That is absolutely untrue and spews ignorance. Training your dog properly is what keeps them from killing things. If the neighbours allow their cats outside and the dog is restrained, the only other answer is to POLITELY ask the neighbours to keep the cats inside. OR, go outside with your dog.

If he is an outside dog, let him in.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 11:53 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I had the same problem with a border collie/lab mix. She would kill cats and squirrels that came into our yard, although outside of the yard she would not bother them. We thought perhaps it was a territorial issue and never left her unattended in the backyard. When we stayed with her in the back yard and were able to work with her once she saw squirrels and such, she did much better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Either supervise the dog when it is outside, or put it on a chain so that it can't reach the fence and get the cats. I would also talk to the neighbors and tell them the dog does not like cats- so if they have cats-- they should keep them away from your yard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would not leave him outside unattended in your back yard anymore. I would also look into doing something to detor cats from entering your yard like those motion scensor deer deterrants.
    They might keep cats from entering your yard

http://www.deer-departed.com/mechanical-deterrents.html
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009