Homemade biscuits...

I get so dang frustrated trying to make biscuits because they never ever turn out right... what's your receipe? I don't know what I am doing wrong... The bottom of them are always almost burnt and the middle isn't usually done and it is so embarassing. I am only 22 and my mom never taught me how to cook or bake anything. Thanks ladies!! P.S. I have even went by the directions on the back of the bag!!!!!!!!! Geez. Maybe it's just not meant to be :(

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I use self-rising flour for my biscuits. For 2 cups of flour, I use a fourth of a cup of solid shortening. I cut that into my flour with a pastry blender until it's well blended. Then I start with about 2/3 c. of milk, stirring it in with a fork. Sometimes I may use about 3/4 c. I think the humidity levels may affect how much it takes. Then I dump my dough out on a piece of floured wax paper and pat it out to a thickness of about 1/2 inch. I then cut out my biscuits, reforming the scrap dough until it is all used up. I bake them at 450 for about 10 minutes. Be very careful not to overwork your dough. It will affect the consistency of your biscuits. Two cups of flour will make 10-12 biscuits.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:29 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• NannyB, that's the same thing I use.

One other thing to add, it makes a difference where in the oven you put them...I always use the middle rack placed in the center rather than putting them towards the bottom. Just because there are 2-3 shelves doesn't mean that everything will cook the same on each one.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Baking Powder Biscuits

2 c. all purpose flour
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1 Tbsp. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 c. solid Crisco or cold butter/margarine
    3/4 c. milk
    Stir together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening/butter/margarine (using Crisco gives a fluffier biscuit, using butter gives a buttery biscuit) until mixture is coarse crumbs. Add milk and stir only until mixed. Press out onto floured countertop using hands until 1/2 inch thick. (Too thick and they won't bake all the way through) Cut into biscuits and put onto ungreased cookie sheet.
    NOW, here's the trick. You should use two cookie sheets doubled up to bake the biscuits. It's like an air bake pan.
    Bake on the middle rack at 450 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 12:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It sounds more like a problem with your oven then your recipe, see if you can get a good oven thermometer and check the temp of it. The oven in our apt runs about 50-75 degrees hotter then the gauge says.
    Biscuits are one of those funny things that some people can make in their sleep and have no problems. I'm still working on mine, although never bothered for years cuz my ex didn't really care for them. DH loves them, so now I'm trying to make them better. If I have something special that I don't want to have to worry about them (like having the in-laws over) I use frozen ones.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 2:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• maybe your oven temp is off. start them at 425 then turn down to 350 and cook on the top rack. use a dull not shiny pan too, That makes a difference
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• it's not so much the recipe as it is your cooking method and preparation. biscuits need a very light hand overmixing will ruin the texture, and your oven probably needs a good secondary thermometer that hangs from the grate.
    i make biscuits either fresh or from the bag in the oven at 350 degrees and about 10 minutes longer than what it says, that way the tops and bottoms are not too brown and the middles are done.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:21 AM on Sep. 15, 2009