So what about us?

My old suburban is on it's last legs (*sigh* sorry I love my truck LOL), and so I called the local dealerships looking for a newer more fuel effecient truck or even a hybrid, but guess what! I was told 'ma'am we don't make hybrids in the size of vehicle you're looking for.'

One guy even said that we just needed to buy 2 in order for my family to go places together, um no.

So my question is what are families the size of mine ( I know I'm not the ONLY woman in the world with five kids) and larger supposed to do if they only make SMALL vehicles now?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 11:54 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am also a mother of five children..and we too have an old suburban lol plus my town and country van and hub has a motorcycle he uses to get back n forth to work.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We are a family of 4 with 2 dogs who like to camp. Looking to buy an RV (stimulate the economy in Indiana, if we did!!) and buy a new vehicle to tow it. We can't find one (besides Diesel) that is 'better for the environment" that can pull an RV and hold 4 people and 2 large dogs... It's just not conducive to our lifestyle... 

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We have a Tarus X it seats 7 people and gets very good gas mileage for a car its size. Fits all 5 of my kids just fine. There are larger hybrids out there Toyota has them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Friends of ours have a nice Ford Excursion. They have 5 kids, 4 in carseats and they fit easily into it. They quit making them but you can get a good deal on a used one. They don't get the best gas mileage but they are really comfortable. Good luck in your search.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Actually Chevy does make the Tahoe in a hybrid. You could get an XL for more room. The woman who spoke to you is crazy. While it isn't quite as big it is large enough for a big family and all their paraphanalia.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• 8 passener Hybrids
    Toyota Highlander
    GMC Yukon
    Dodge Durango

Please don't take this wrong: but putting "8-passenger hybrid" into google would have saved you some phone calls
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• How do you get 7 in a Taurus and everyone have a seatbelt? My dh used to have one and it only had 6 belts...3 in front and 3 in back.

We have a Dodge Megacab Truck that we pull our rv with. It is a diesel. It gets better gas mileage than our old gas model did and my hubby is able to use biodiesel. This past summer we got 20-21 mpg with it...and that was pulling the 5th wheel!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Anon it's pointless to google the models if the dealerships around here don't carry them.

The GMC and Chevy dealerships that we had around here fell victim to the closings, not sure how far we'd have to drive to find the closest one. The Toyota dealership has nothing bigger then a RAV 4, we'd have to drive 4 hours to get to the next closest one and a Durango's just not big enough for our lifestyle I know I looked at my brother's new one when we were in Texas a few weeks ago. Thanks for trying to help though. :o)

BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009