At what time do you start trick-or-treating?

Before dinner? Right after dinner? Do you wait until it's dark? ...how old are your kids? Do you let them stay up past bed time?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 11:58 AM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Holidays

• Since it's on a Sat this yr they will probably be staying up a little later. We usually leave around 5:30 after dinner, and then stay out until about 7:30. We go home, go through the candy, we put it away and they are allowed a little every other day. We'll probably watch some goosebump movies, they love them. Oh and they are 6 and 7.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Our stupid city restricts trick-or-treating. They set certain hours for when it's allowed. It starts at 5 or 5:30 and ends at 7 or 7:30. You aren't allowed to go trick-or-treating before or after the set hours. So, we don't do it anymore. We celebrate the whole day. We eat Halloween themed food, do Halloween crafts, play Halloween themed games, and watch Halloween themed or 'scary' movies. Last year, we had a Halloween party for the kids. The kids enjoy it & don't complain about not trick-or-treating. They love the new traditions we've started.
    busygoddess

Answer by busygoddess at 12:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Our town has set times for T & T. It's 5:30 pm until 7:30 pm.
    We try to eat dinner before, but bc of the excitement usually we eat afterwards and most likely
    we order a pizza.
    After T & T we check thru the candy and wind down...lol... oh and gs is 8.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We just started Trick or Treat 2 years ago. My kids were 5, 4 and 2. We went out after dinner and walk about 30 mins and came home to wait for tricker-or-treaters to knock our door since my kids enjoyed giving out candies than getting em' and we let them stay a bit late til 9pm(school night they go to back at 8pm). This year is on Sat. so we may let them stay til 9:30pm the latest.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We now have a yearly ritual of taking them as soon as the trick or treat time starts out here. Then we order pizza! :D After that they dig into the candy(of course you know that the second we walk in the door they HAVE to have JUST ONE PIECE MOMMY! lol) Kids out here seem to trick or treat well past the hours given so we still get the fun of passing out treats too. :)

My kids are 5(twins) and 4 and my 17 yr old is well beyond the trick or treat stage. he's into the party scene and will be 18 in a few months so he doesn't do much here with us anymore.

And yes, they do get to spend extra time awake which this year as it turns out I believe halloween is on a friday if I'm not mistaken(or saturday maybe). They are on track break anyway during the month of October, their halloween party at school is Oct 2nd. LOL
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We generally go out as soon as it dark and stay out till we have hit all the houses and churches...or until she gets tired and wants to go home
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 12:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We have a 7pm curfew for 14 and under. In these times of post 9/11, you have to be very careful. I once got an apple full of needles at least ten. It happened over 30 years ago, but still sticks in my head the scary wack job lady that gave it...............
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We haven't really trick-or-treated much yet. Usually just went to the grandparent's house and scored candy there. lol. But this year we are gonna take the kids because they are older and can talk better. My DD is almost 5 and my DS will be 3 in a few weeks. Think we're gonna wait til about dark. And just hit up the subdivision we live in. Just a few houses. They will also be going to bed about the same time. If they stay up much later than 9, they are fussy butts! lol
    Ali-Rippy

Answer by Ali-Rippy at 5:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We eat and then head out to the mall about 5:30-6 and then go to my friends neighborhood and hit a few houses about 7:30 or so
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 6:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If it is in town at 6:30-6:40. If we go to another town it is 7.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 9:45 AM on Sep. 15, 2009