Does this really mean anything?

I just got done at the doc they checked me an im 3cm 50% effeced an -2 station! Does it really mean anything i dont wanna get my hopes up! My doc however thinks im gonna have the baby this week!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, -2 is just above where they need to be at birth. 0 station is at your cervix, so that's good. 50% effaced means you're half-way there, and 3 cm is ok. I'm probably not the best one to ask though since I was 60% effaced, -1 station and 3 cm for almost 2 weeks. I hope you do get your baby this week, that would be exciting!! Good luck!
    ACL2007

Answer by ACL2007 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Get your hopes up! The great thing about labor/delivery is that at some point it's ALWAYS going to happen! It sounds like your moving right along so heck yeah get excited! Good luck and congrats!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have been at the same 3 cm 70% and -3 since last week and I am 40wks and 3days. I just went to the dr appt today and I'm still the same.
    areshea

Answer by areshea at 12:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would trust your doc! He/she seems to know a few things... :)

It sounds to me like you're moving right along. If those were my stats, I'd be at the hospital right now... lol. However everyone is different (I know... I hate that answer too...lol). Do some jumping jacks, bounce on that exercise ball, and you'll have that baby in no time!!

My best advice is to trust your OB/GYN... she's been monitoring your activity for quite a while, so she's gonna know what's best. Make sure your bags are packed and you have a "game plan" to get to the hospital- and I definately wouldn't travel too far from the area of the hospital if I were you!!! :) HOW EXCITING!!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• -2 station is still pretty high so the baby needs to drop some more. 50% effaced isnt all that great but 3 cm is good. I would say its gonna be a while but I am not the doc!

As for the mom that said -2 is just above where you need to be to give birth...that isnt true! It goes from -3 to +3 (crowing) and I was +2 for over a month prior to my daughters birth so there is NO WAY that 0 station is at the cervix!!
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I wish doctors would stop trying to predict this, there is no way of predicting it at all. Being dilated or not doesn't mean anything, you can go from 0 to 10cm in a couple of hours but you can also walk around a couple of cm dilated for many many weeks. Honestly it could be hours, days and even weeks.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i wouln't get your hopes up, at 37 weeks my doctor said i was 3 cm 40 % and at station 0, which is a great place for baby. my doc said any day now, could be this week. and now im 39 weeks and still prego, so baby is still cooking.
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Op here doc said it might be this week because of where this is my 3rd pregnancy an my 1st one was born at 37wks an my 2nd born at 38wks im now 38wks an 2d an where im pregressing so fast! I hope its soon because i can tell he gonna be a big one! Lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This is my 5th one and he's 9lbs 15oz, same as my first one. They tried twice unsuccessfully to induce me, so they keep telling me to wait.
    areshea

Answer by areshea at 6:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It means nothing, except in terms of teaching other medical practitioners.

Women can walk around dilated for weeks, and other women don't dilate until well into active labor. Both are perfectly normal. Every women is unique and there is nothing wrong with a cervix that dilates early or one that dilates only when birth is imminent.

I don't get vaginal exams for this reason (not to mention the possibility of infection). There is nothing a woman can do productively by knowing those numbers. If she thinks she's "progressing fast" she gets excited then is dissapointed when her body has other plans. And other women who find that "nothing is happening" feel inadequate or as if there is something wrong with them when there isn't anything wrong at all. Both senarios lead to undue stress.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009