Adjusting to new baby....at 16 months

For Moms whose babies are close, how did you help your first child accept the new baby? All the info I can find is on older children. My son will be around 16 months when our new baby arrives and I need to be sure I'm doing all I can to prepare him for the change.

Please no negative comments. If you have only negative things to say, look elsewhere. This is hard enough without you adding your acid-coated 2 cents.

Thanks ladies, I really appreciate it!

ACL2007

Asked by ACL2007 at 12:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I involved my middle son as much as possible. He was 17 months old when his baby sister was born and when we brought her home I let him "help" me change her diapers (which was really just him getting me one and maybe helping to stick the sides on), we encouraged him to give her lots of kisses, we showed him how to give her "nice touches" and sing to her, things like that. If you are bottle feeding you he can help feed the baby, we didn't do that so it was tough during nursing times because he couldn't do anything to help and distract him from the fact that I was giving the baby all my attention right then, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it might be. Before she was born we also gave him a doll to play with and showed him with that how to be nice to the baby and do things for her.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 12:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You need to make sure you spend quality, alone time with your son as well as the new baby. It is very important to him to know that he is still you baby, too. It might help, though, if you teach him about being a "big boy" before the baby gets here, so that way when the baby is born you can help him by telling him he is such a big boy for loving his baby sibling, etc. One thing to keep in mind is that your son needs to have things that are special that are just his. Don't allow him to give the baby things that are special to him, because it may seem like he is being generous and sharing, but it may make him resent the baby. If you are planning on using the same crib for your son for the new baby, you should start the transition for your son into a toddler bed before the baby NEEDS it, that way he doesn't feel like you are TAKING his bed and GIVING it to baby. . . I'm sure there are really good books that can help, too!!!!!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My youngest two are 11 months apart and at first my son wouldnt come near me or the baby, that lasted about a week. After that I just made sure that I still devoted a good amount of time to doing the things we always together. I have four children so my husband and I make sure that we get a lot of family time in, but also spend time each week with each child independently. You will find that everything just falls into place. Your worries as a mom are very common and I am sure everything will be perfect, good luck!

EarthMom6

Answer by EarthMom6 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009