Why do people ask for medical advice on here?

Please people, you don't know the qualifications of the people answering, and in some situations I have seen very harmful advice given---even life threatening advice!
Stop looking on cafemom for medical advice and going to silly places like yahoo answers! Most hospitals have a hotline, most vets have on call or emergency vet services!
If you think you have a problem, go to a website like webmd or some place legit. This is not the place to go when someone is bleeding, miscarrying, turning blue, or you find a lump!
It scares the living you know what out of me to read some of these questions, and some of the replies.
Honestly!

romanceparty4u

Asked by romanceparty4u at 12:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Health

• Because we want to compare experiences but not necessarily forego getting an MD's opinion either
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I can understand that, but a question such as "emergency help" I can't wake up my baby, is something that we should not see here, really! It scares me!
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• With my 15 years of medical experience in the navy and civilian sector, I have no problem giving medical advice based on the scope of my knowledge and experience. Anything dealing with the airway, breathing, circulation, vaginal bleeding, lumps, etc, I will not touch. But if someone is asking what a good remedy for herpes or a yeast infection is, then I will offer advice. If someone has questions on what to expect during a LEEP or a colpo, having assisted doctors with countless of those, I have no problem explaining the procedure to them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I hate questions like,"I'm in severe pain and I'm bleeding and I'm prego,what should I do?".or one girl really scared me! She had three week old twins and was soakin a pad ever 30 minutes. I begged her to go to the hospital but she said her mom said she was fine and refused to take her. I told her to call 911 or go to a neighbor. She said her mom tool the phone away. I told her I felt she was hemmoraging due to a lftover piece of placenta in her and that it could kill her. She pm me later to tell me I was right and that she got help. I was so worried about her and I didn't even know her!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• everyone has gone through something in their lyfe. maybe you have shared that experience, maybe not. so we ask advise from eachother and those who have experienced in that situation give us their best advise.
    krisew90

Answer by krisew90 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Medical advice, legal advice...it's insane the amount of advice that is asked for on this website! Medical and legal people can get in trouble (lose their licenses) if caught giving advice online, and everyone else can speak for what their personal experiences were at one time...but they canNOT say what is right for the poster!!! It's NUTS!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Because people are seriously stupid. There are way more stupid people in the world then you realize...until you come to places like this!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009