38 weeks and question about cervix...

I know that alot of women say they didn't have any progression down there as far as dialation and being effaced, water breaking, or baby dropping until they actually went into labor. Does the same go for your cervix? The last two appointments I've had, but doctor said my cervix was still really closed and not soft. Does this usually happen before you go into labor or when you start labor?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Dilating and effacing are cervical changes. It is totally normal for them to start days or weeks before labor, or for your cervix to stay hard, long and closed right up until you go into active labor. A lot of dr's and midwives don't even do cervical exams because either extreme is totally normal. Try not to worry, mama.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think I started to feel softer around 38-40 weeks, and I delivered both babies on their due dates. For my first I was dialated 2 cm for about 3 weeks... for my second it was only like, a fingertip wide for a week, and then BOOM full labor!! It can really bounce around, so I wouldn't worry just yet. I know both times the baby dropped first, THEN I started having cervical changes... so while you can't really predict WHEN it will happen, I would look for a certain order- expect the baby to drop, then your cervix to soften, then effacement, then dialation, then water breaking, further dialation, etc. That's TYPICAL, however doesn't mean for sure... but if you keep that in mind it helps you figure out where you're at a little better :)
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 1:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• ummm... dilation & effacement is the cervix changing!

Being closed means you are not dilated
    Being hard means you are not effaced
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:25 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• honestly your not going into labor any day soon you probably wont have your baby till your due date because it doesn't sound like your dialated at all is the baby low?
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It means nothing, except in terms of teaching other medical practitioners.

Women can walk around dilated for weeks, and other women don't dilate until well into active labor. Both are perfectly normal. Every women is unique and there is nothing wrong with a cervix that dilates early or one that dilates only when birth is imminent.

I don't get vaginal exams for this reason (not to mention the possibility of infection). There is nothing a woman can do productively by knowing those numbers. If she thinks she's "progressing fast" she gets excited then is dissapointed when her body has other plans. And other women who find that "nothing is happening" feel inadequate or as if there is something wrong with them when there isn't anything wrong at all. Both senarios lead to undue stress.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009