unemployment

My husband just found out that they are closing his plant in 2 months. If he can't find a new job by then he will have to file for unemployment. My question is how do they base the amount they give you? He makes $19/hr now, will he be bringing home anywhere near that do you think? Is there a cap of how much you can get? I'm just trying to plan for what is coming, I'm so scared! We have a 10 month old and I think I might be pregnant again. What the heck are we gonna do about health insurance too??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can file for public assistance. PEOPLE PLEASE JUST SHUT UP AND DONT GET INTO THIS RIGHT NOW. You can get at least medical care for your self (if you're pregnant) and your baby either way. I don't know how unemployment works, if your DH will be home, he could be with the baby and you could get a job.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• it depends on where you live. i live in nys, and i know that here they take all your past jobs, average out what you were making and go based off that. there is a max amount that you can make. here it's $407 a week plus $25, but i would google unemployment benefits for your state and get more info off the website. good luck
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 12:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'm so... sorry for what is happening right now. I was in a similar situation. My DH was laid off in March. My son was 19 months old and my daughter 2 weeks old. I know exactly how you feel. So many people are going through this. It took my DH about 6 weeks before he found another job. We were able to keep his insurance at a reasonable price. There are a lot plans out there to help us out during these tough times. I also wanted to let you know that I work from home to help my DH out since he only makes half of what he used to make. Message me if you're interested. I think unemployment is different in every state and situation. I hope your DH finds another job ASAP.

Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Each state is different, it does matter how much you've made but there is a cap. In TN it's like $225/wk
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 1:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We are in Illinois; I get $515 a week (the maximum) for a family of 3
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2009