How do you teach a child to stop bitting

My son bite if he doesn't get want he wants and we tryed alot of things but he continues to bite. Got and suggestions?

Tigeress444

Asked by Tigeress444 at 12:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Now for a non-violent suggestion.. Clearly, you need to make sure that if he does bite, it NEVER gets him what he wants. When he bites, you need to immediately separate him and ignore him for a bit (10 minutes was what a friend's pediatrician recommended). I used to immediately put my son down and totatly ignore him. I left the room if he followed me (someplace where I could see him but he couldn't get to me). If you're out, put him into his carseat and turn your back on him (making sure to open windows as appropritate to ensure the car doesn't get hot). A stroller in a corner works as well. You need to be very consistent. Biting is yet another attention getting mechanism. If it doesn't get attention, it will stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Bite him back. Let the bashing begin but it worked for my daughter and my family swears by it. Don't bite hard enough to break skin or leave much of a mark but enough that he gets the point.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Bite back so he knows how it feels. I did it to DS not hard of course but he stopped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my dd bit me once & i smacked her in the mouth, she hasn't bit since
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Biting is yet another attention getting mechanism. If it doesn't get attention, it will stop.

If he knows how it feels it will stop too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I used the following time out technique: I'd say "no biting" then hold the biter in my lap facing away from me for one minute then repeat "no biting" give him a kiss and move on.

At one point, one of the boys was biting whenever he got really excited about something so in that case we'd just say "no biting, if you get excited give mommy a squeeze". It didn't take long for him to get the concept and if we could see that he was getting excited and making a run for us, we'd say "give us a squeeze".
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 1:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2009