What developmental signs do i need to look for to know my baby is ready to start cereal?

She is 4 1/2 months old.I waited to long with my son and he had and still has alot of eating problems.I just really want to avoid that with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, docs usually recommand to try solid food like rice cereal between 4-6 months. I think you can start giving her to try some every morning just a tablespoon of cereal for a week. At beginning, she probably won't take in much and most of it will come out her mouth but she eventually will master the skill of swallow. If she is better at it and liking it, you can give her more. But remember that the cereal is on watery side not lumpy at first week. And you also can try Gerber 1st stage babyfood after she is good with rice cereal for a week or so.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 12:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't think that weaoiting longer causes eating problems. I waited 11 months with both m y kids and they have no issues, I would not feed solids until they can sit up on their own, are at least 6 months old and when you feed them they are not licking the spoon, gagging on the food or spitting it up. bith my boys were notready at 6 months, they could sit up but they would gag on the food. So every month I tried and both were ready at around 11 months and were ready for finger foods that were soft also I suggest not starting with cereal, but with fruits and veggies like avocado or bannana or pears. baby cereal has little nutritional value combared to fruits and veggies, has no or little taste and textures, which is the whole point in giving solids before 1 yrs old.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• When they can sit well with some support and if you offer the cereal they don't have the tounge thrust reflex
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Between 4-6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Mine started wanting our food and trying to get it around 5 months, lost the tongue thing around 6 months, so we started slowly introducing foods between there.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009