Do your kids eat food you find strange?

I think it's weird how my 4yr old son eats raw onions like it's candy:)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• My oldest kid has a very different set of tastebuds than I do. He likes a lot of things that I don't. I've always encouraged my kids to try out new foods, especially when we are eating out and there are things on the menu that we don't ever eat at home.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My 9 yesr-old would eat onions, spinach, pickles, croutons and Parmasan cheese for every meal if we allowed her to! She also loves shrimp and eats chicken legs like crazy....I have a weird quirk, I don't eat meat off of bones. No ribs or fried chicken, I just can't handle all of the grisle and hanging things that attach the meat to the bones....Hubby thinks I'm odd!
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my daugther eats cheetos dipped in ketchup. i would think that taste nasty as all get out but she loves it.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 1:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My son loved flavored oatmeal, but dry with no water added. My daughter loves dry uncooked pasta. They're both little weirdos.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My daughter loves lots of weird things. Frog legs are a favorite of hers and I can't STAND them. (She is 27 months old, BTW). She also likes squid, tomatoes, popcorn dipped in clam chowder. She is a little weird and I love her all the more for it! :-)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't like meat on the bone either. I very rarely have chicken on the bone (usually rotisserie and I pull it all off before I eat it.
    My 6yo used to eat raw onions. I would slice onions for burgers or chop them for tacos and come back and they would all be gone. She was 2 or 3 at the time. Now she likes them but not just plain (they have to be on the burgers).
    Not a strange food really but my 3yo is obsessed with tomatoes. I buy the little grape ones and she eats them like candy. My other kids won't touch fresh tomatoes. She also loves sour cream...just plain. When we have tacos she just eats sour cream and the other day she was dipping her fries in it. She was in heaven, lol.
    My almost 8yo son LOVES fish. any kind, any way. He also chose brussel sprouts off the buffet a couple weeks ago and loves salads. he'll eat almost anything.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Emnasmom_I have a weird quirk, I don't eat meat off of bones. No ribs or fried chicken, I just can't handle all of the grisle and hanging things that attach the meat to the bones....Hubby thinks I'm odd!

My husband is the same way. He won't touch anything that is on a bone, but it doesn't stop me from cooking it and taking it off the bone and cooking it in something else. If he sees it, he won't eat it and it drives me nuts! The first time I fixed oven baked chicken legs he just looked at me and said "I don't eat that" I said oh well, fix a ham sandwich because I'm not going to pull it off the bone for you like your mom use to do.

I wouldn't call it strange,unusual, yes but my kids love beets, asparagus, cherry tomatoes, black beans, raw red cabbage, plain celery, sauerkraut and spinach(raw and cooked). Give my kids a plate of red cabbage and black beans and they eat it like candy.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009