SHAMS What do you do while teens at school?

I am new to this SHAM thing and going crazy. I can only clean so much. We live on a budget and I am going crazy. Not sure what the heck to do with my time. What do you ladies do all day while kids are at school?

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 1:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I got a part time job when the kids were in school. If you can get a school job- cafeteria work, subbing, etc, it works out extra well because you are off when they are. Also it is nice to have the extra change in the pocket.

Answer by Bmat at 1:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This is the first time in about 16 years that I don't have a little one at home. sniff The youngest just started kindergarden full time. I started on-line classes that keep me busy with the bonus of working on my degree while they are at school. You could try to volunteer somewhere near where you live while they are in school to keep your self busy (?) maybe.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 6:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Until this week I enjoyed my quiet time. I did the housework, laundry and played online. I now and home educate a 4yo little buy 4 days a week and that keeps me quite busy.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Isn't it SAHM? Stay at home mom?
    I was and I had my usual housework, driving kids to activities,sports, dentist appointments, Officers' WIves club stuff that I was expected to do...in the AirForce you have to obey.LOL. WHen my kids were home, they gave me plenty of work, kept me busy. I worked part time when they were teens,though. But there is no such thing as a SAHM who doesn't work!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I always wonder when people type SHAM instead of SAHM if it's a typo or if it's on purpose. It's Stay At Home M om= SAHM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I work from home

Answer by rkoloms at 11:44 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I'm not a SAHM, I'm a full-time parent! (small difference in words, but big difference in perception) I always answer "What do you do?" with "I'm a full time parent."

In 17 years I haven't been paid a dime, but I've worked as: homeowner's assoc. secretary, Pre-school PTA membership chair, Mothers of Multiples president + news editor, church membership committee secretary, homeroom mother, PTA newsletter editor, PTA health and welfare committee rep (2 schools), League of Women Voters online administrator, high school classroom proctor, and several more "jobs". And then there's just volunteer work - serving at church senior luncheons, counting $ collections at school, the soup kitchen, writing weekly blurbs for the church bulletin,...

I HATE cleaning, so I keep busy to avoid it. Check the library, your city & county, church, parks etc. for newsletters & just get involved. Start with attending, listen for opportunities.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 12:49 PM on Sep. 16, 2009

• while my 13 y/o is at school I am at home chasing our 2 y/o!! I try to clean and organize stuff but I am too exhausted. . . .once in a while a babysitter will take her for a few hours a day, but then I just want to nap lol.
    When I have time I like to volunteer for the school district. it's rewarding!
    luvbeinhermom

Answer by luvbeinhermom at 3:46 PM on Sep. 16, 2009