Do you believe that families are having two meals a day instead of three just to avoid having to apply for food stamps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• my family up north all get food stamps and they get a lot,my one sister gets 800 a month for 4 kids and her.my family dont get any,we have tried to apply but they said we make to much,but we havnt cut back on any meals no matter how much mney we have and dont have.it seems like we spend more in gas then food these days
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 1:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• sure I believe there are some families that do that.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yes. We've done it. I've gone without eating for 2 weeks before, waiting for my husband to be paid so I could make sure the kids ate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Without eating for 2 weeks, anon? Really?
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I believe that. Even families with food stamps do that. Food stamps doesn't get anyone very much. Barely enough for a family of two. Let alone three or more. Been there, done that. We have to do what we can to keep our children fed and healthy in this rough time. I personally think it's better to suck up your pride and apply for food stamps so your kids can eat three meals a day. As far as the parents go, they can survive and live just fine on limited food. The kids need to survive -and- thrive.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Sure. I cut back to eating one meal/day when my oldest was a toddler so I could feed him his 3 meals and a snack. My ex (husband at the time) was starting a new job and not making very much money.

Answer by missanc at 1:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yes, I believe some families do it.

Personally, I would apply for food stamps in a heartbeat if it meant that my kids get to eat. I would beg, borrow, and steal so they could eat.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• that is so stupid--- being on food stamps saves me so much money-- the kids automatically get free school meals, my student loans are in economic hardship, so i can pay a little every two weeks, and if an emergancy comes up i usually have enough to cover it, and i work full time. But before I relized I could still get food stamps, I would feed my kids before myself and did anything to feed them, I even begged, and stole, and illegaly hunted for meat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It also saves me money because I have enought money to pay all the bills on time and avoid late fees, before I
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• had to pay half the bills with one pay check and the rest with the other and paid alot of late fees, a waste of money, that was keeping me broke.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009