HOW DO YOU STOP THE WHINING!!! UGH!!!

My 3 Year Old Son Is SOO Whiny!! He Whins Over EVERYTHING!! ITS DRIVING ME CRAZY!! Iv Tryed Ignoring It, Telling Him To Speek Nicely, Asking Him To Speek In Inside Voice, Telling Him

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 1:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my boyfriend and i are going through the same thing with his son. It is so difficult and annoying. All the advise i can really give is DO NOT give in to what he is whining for or about.
    angel_inlebanon

Answer by angel_inlebanon at 2:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have worked with many children in childcare and while in my care I do not allow the children to whine but I have seen the moment Mom or Dad walk in - the whining starts. I look at them and then they hide behind their parents because they know they should not use it. Basically, your son has gotton away with it up to this point and needs to be retrained along with you and your fiancee. Without raising your voice put your finger gently over his lips and tell him there will be no more whining. Tell him to begin again in his talking inside voice. (The inside voice also means the car.) Each time he starts to whine gently stop him and ask him to speak in his normal voice. The key is consistency and to never give in. Also, when you notice he is not whining, praise him with words. Tell him how proud you are of him for talking in his normal voice. How he is a big boy, etc. Pour it on! Praise the good; ignore the negative.
    cyaburt

Answer by cyaburt at 2:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I ran out of room above but I also wrote a journal account regarding using the "no" word. You may want to read that also. It has worked wonders for me with my own children and in the childcare setting!

cyaburt (Marcya)
    cyaburt

Answer by cyaburt at 3:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• IGNORE the whining, do NOT respond, do NOT give them what they want until they use their words. I HATE whining and do NOT respond well to whining. It grates on me like fingernails on a chalkboard. I have had toddlers that aren't very verbal stop whining by telling them to use their words. NO WHINING is a big rule in my classroom and with my son (he is 13 and still tries to whine, it doesn't work).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• If he wants something, he can't have it until he asks correctly. Now my son know how to ask for things and he also knows that whining will get him no where. Just be consistent and bare with it.
    ConnorsMommy521

Answer by ConnorsMommy521 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This won't be much help , I went through the samething. GOOD LUCK.
    Timberly

Answer by Timberly at 7:57 AM on Sep. 15, 2009