Do you buy into TV being bad for babies and toddlers?

I used to think that I wouldnt let my kids watch TV until over 2 like the APA suggests, but I changed my mind because my son (18 Months) gets so involved with shows, repeats dances and actions, and repeats words. I don't buy into the delayed speech idea, or the ADD idea. I am a psychologist and it is well-known that ADD is primarily genetic. I am done letting the APA make decisions for me, because I honestly dont buy into it. By the way, I dont let him watch TV all day, but I few shows to relax, no harm in that!

MomofDom21

Asked by MomofDom21 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never have bought it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• As long as the t.v. is not babysitting your kids, and is not on 24/7... I think it's fine. My son enjoys his Doodlebops, Blues Clues, and Sesame Street. It gives me thirty minutes to get things done around the home.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 1:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have no issue with my boys watching TV, they are 2&3. I just make sure they watch something that they can learn from. I don't like them watching a lot of Spongebob or anything equally mind numbing.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 1:47 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't think tv is bad, so much as there are so much better things for children to be doing. I'm not saying my son never watches it, I have 3 older kids and the tv is on at various times. As long as it's not on all day and they have access to plenty of stimulating toys, I think it's fine.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Nope. Kids learn from watching different educational programs. You can learn how your kids learn, because everyone learns differently, from them watching Sesame street and other educational programs or videos. My kids are not allowed to watch Spongebob because there's nothing educational about it and they use language like stupid, moron, and idiot. I don't want my kids hearing language like that, but I'm not going to bash another mom for letting her kids watch it; she may have older kids.

The only time I have problem with the TV or gaming systems is when a mother allows her obese child to park their fanny in front it all day, while eating and playing games or watching TV. Obese kids were rare before gaming systems were invented because we didn't have a option but to hop on our bikes or go play ball after eating lunch. Kids need exercise.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Not really.

My kids love PBS kids. They do learn from it. As did I when I watched some of those same shows.

We occasionally watch other kinds of movies during family movie nights. Disney movies, family movies, even musicals...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Not At All. My 3 Year Old Son LOVES Noggin! Its Pretty Much On All Day, He Runs Around And Plays And Will Stop Sometimes If The Show Catches His Attention, Other Wise Its Just Background Noise. But I Must Say, He DOSE Learn From It, Even If I Think Hes Not Paying Attention To The TV, An Hour After One Show Ends, You Will Hear Him Singing A Song Or Repeating Something That He Heard. I Think TV Watching Is A Good Thing For Toddlers Or Preschoolers!
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 2:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think tv is fine. I'm pretty sure I grew up watching lots of tv and I turned out ok.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 2:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The problem is when parents let their kids watch TV all day and do not interact with them. If they are watching kiddie shows, they are probably watching the same couple of ones over and over which would not be beneficial to development. If you use TV sometimes and talk to your child and do other activities, it's not as big a deal. I'm betting the APA is afraid if they say TV is ok, then parents will sit their infants and toddlers in front of the tv and ignore them more often.

I have read of a study that showed that TV actually interview with play when on in the background. I'm not sure how the study was done, so I can't be too sure of it's results. But it had something to do with kids who played with a toy when the tv was on would get distracted by the sounds and stop playing, then resume playing. While kids who played w/o the tv concentrated on the task at hand the whole time. Again, don't know the exact study.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think that tv is fine, especially learning programs. I loved Noggin when my kids were younger! TBH, my two boys, who watched more tv than my little girl have very good speech! My daughter has had problems with her speech, so I actually think hearing the tv helps with their speech.
    stacy_12_20

Answer by stacy_12_20 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009