People on food stamps: should the grocery items they purchase be limited? Ie: seafood, steaks, etc

I have a dear friend that recently applied for food stamps, lied on the application and is using their card to by $50.00 steaks, 30-40 dollars of seafood, truffel oil, vats of expensive EVOO, etc. It does not seem right when other people can not afford to eat that stuff on a daily basis.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I hope since they lied on their application someone turns their asses in and they have to refund the state all that money! I'm now jobless, have a 4 year old and prego. No food in the house or any money. Have to eat at my parents and mooch off them right now because there are so may food stamp applicant in front of me it will take me 2 months for my evaluation appointment. And I'm almost certain 80% of those ppl in front of me prolly lied on their applications too just so they can milk the system and make it hard for the ones that really need it have a harder time getting them!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Sep. 16, 2009

• I live with my mother who gets $745 a month for all of us. (me my brother, my sister, and her) and  she makes sure her boyfriend and her are fed before any of us! Every time I go over there his fridge is STOCKED as well as his pantry and freezer while ours is empty most of the time. I think people who abuse this privilege are selfish and taking the blessings they get for granite. Some people dont deserve them. Its not for perople who want $50 steaks and $40 worth of fish!!! UGH! people make me mad!

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 1:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• its not for you to tell them what to buy

If they were on WIC then they can be limited and they are

If they lie on their app. wtf r u going to do about it? Seriously, nothing all you can do is live your life to the best of your ability and promote honesty and integrity. You cant change how other people process anything. If you could I would be right there with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• ya that upsets me.. i wont lie we have spent 12 bucks on 2 steaks here and there to grill but that was not often because that 12 i could buy a lot of other things, i couldn't not imagine spending 40-50 on steaks, i wouldn't buy that even if i didn't have food assistance
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 1:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Wow. I'm know that I'm going to get bashed for saying this but nope I don't see a problem with it. Their foodstamps, their food, and how they choose to spend and what they choose to buy is their own business. And I also believe that what you do goes back around, with that being said, they lied to get the foodstamps and it will bite them in the ass. So let them live it up with their steaks and such, because when the foodstamp office finds out they lied, they will have to pay all of that back with CASH and will be banned from the program. I think the first ban is 3 months, then 6 months, then forever but I'm not positive about that.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Sorry, I mean't " I know" not "I'm know", lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• your complaining is annoying me
    if you want a steak go buy one

people fraud the system
    people sell of their socials to illegals
    people steal
    people LIE

its nothing new, get over it, while your complaining guess what their doing.........

eating their $50 Steak...LOL while you waste your time one cafemom worrying about what others do with their life
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• There food stamps, there food, there business! Plain and simple!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• bet the anon's that say mind your own are the ones eating buying 50 dollar steaks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Maybe you can get invited to their house to eat one day. LOL. It's not right, especially considering the current economic situation of our country. Perhaps Obama can fix this too.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009