My baby is groping me...

My 19 month old daughter has always had a habit of touching my breasts, I think because she was a breast fed baby. Lately however she has developed the infuriating habit of pulling my shirt down or grabbing my breasts/pinching my nipples through my clothes! WHY!? Is this normal, will it ever stop? What's the deal with this peculiar behavior?

GinnyGreer

Asked by GinnyGreer at 1:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Both of mine (2 year old girl, 3 year old boy) have had this problem, lol. I think it has more to do with curiousity than anything. I would grab their hands and say NO firmly. I don't know what works for other moms but this worked for me. Later, as they got curious again I explained that these are MY breasts and I don't want them to be touched. That worked like a charm! Good luck, I know this is a painful thing to go through, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I went through the same thing. It was definitely a familiarity from breast-feeding thing, because she just did it when she was drinking mild and snuggling...

....and I didn't mind as we went through the weaning process. But then I noticed my shirt collars were getting really stretched, and she tried to do it in public places.

I just started moving her hand away, and she got really mad at first, but then got used to it. Now she just gently grabs my collar by the side of my neck...still not great for my shirts, but it's nothing embarrassing in public.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my son is doing that right now also. He has been weened for 6 months but has started touching my breasts or acting like he wants to nurse again. I thought it might have something to do with the fact I'm 6months pregnant and starting to lactate again. . . It doesn't help that my husband finds this very funny and laughs every time he hears my son talk about my "numm numms"

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My 14 month old is doing that too. She was only breastfed for a month. I think she just fascinated with my "big, squishy" boobs. I dunno! lol I tell her, "Those are mommy's boobies! " She giggles.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• my son is breastfed so he will sometimes touch my boobs. he tries to grab his daddy's nipples too sometimes. the worst is when he sees my chapstick in there and tries to grab it! lol!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I have a 14 mo old who was bf but didn't nurse. I pumped and fed through a bottle. Anyways, she is fascinated by my breasts as well. I tell her no and that they are Mommy's, but Daddy will chime in that they are his. It is really embarrassing when she does this in public and my bra is showing in all it's glory. She also like to pet them and squish them. As soon as some one can figure out to get them to stop let me know. LOL!
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Well it doesn't help that my husband has taught her to say "Poke it" and "Pinch it" when she does these things. He's gonna be in the world class idiot book with me for a while...
    GinnyGreer

Answer by GinnyGreer at 10:25 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• omG! i'm glad i'm not alone. occasionally i get dressed with my dd around and she'll be fascinated by mine. she's 15 months. i understand if she wants to... explore. she'll have them after several years. might as well get to know them XD. i think it's funny, you know? because babies are so innocent. they're learning, and don't really know what's appropriate and inappropriate which imo makes it ok for them. i just hate how after she's done poking, she'll take her lil baby nails and pincer me >:O OUCH!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2009