Should I put my four month old in her crib when I see she's getting tired and let her cry herself to sleep, or rock her to sleep?

wend18

Asked by wend18 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• In my opinion...4 months is WAY too young to let her cry herself to sleep...I guess fussing is one thing, but letting her actually cry that young is a definite NO! it's not only sad for them but actually dangerous. If a baby cries too hard that young it releases dangerous levels of cortisol which is a stress hormone....My daughter is 12 months and it has gone by so fast, I wish she STILL wanted me to rock her to sleep. I will cuddle with her but when she's sleepy enough, she actually pushes me away and just wants to lay down and go to sleep for herself. So, I think you should just enjoy the time you have with her right now and give her the security she needs from mommy...it doesn't make a baby any more dependent to rock them to sleep either. Its good for them. I have NEVER let my daughter cry herself to sleep and she is VERY independent.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• That's something only you can answer. You have to do what's right for you. I let all 4 of my kids fuss a little when I knew they were tired and safe in their cribs. It only took a couple of times and then they all started going to sleep as soon as I laid them down. But a lot of moms on here will have a different opinion.

Answer by missanc at 1:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i personally think 5 minutes of fussing isn't so bad now im not talking screaming at top of lungs, but fussing id let her fuss for 5 minutes and see how she does
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 1:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• are you sure she will scream? she might just fall asleep if she is tired put on some music
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Let her fuss in the crib if you need to pee, eat, or shower... otherwise, rock her to sleep. They are only this little once. Enjoy it while you can. The only exception is if she's refusing to sleep, rocking isn't cutting it, and you're all frazzled. As long as she's fed, clean, dry, and comfortable it's ok to put the baby down and let her cry it out for a while to preserve your sanity. I don't quite agree with CIO for sleep-training until they are a year old, or closer to one. But each to their own.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I agree that 4 months is too young to let her cry...that's just my opinion. I, personally, would rock her to sleep. I do think there is a difference between crying and fussing and I do sometimes let my 3 1/2 month old fuss for a couple of minutes to see if she'll go back to sleep, but if she cries I get her...good luck!! I'm just about to move my dd into her own room and I'm so nervous/sad about it!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I really don't like the "let them cry" thing. I don't ever want to see my baby that upset when all he wants is his Momma to hold him. It breaks my heart when I have to go pee or finish something up and he cries for just a little bit. I don't see the harm in letting them fall asleep in your arms and them putting them down. They wont be little for very long and the time will fly by fast. So I think its worth the extra bonding time.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 12:53 AM on Sep. 15, 2009