Sleeping throught the night soon?

My DS is 8 1/2 weeks old and used to get up about 3 times a night and drink a 6 oz bottle. Just recently he started getting up 2 times a night but only drinking 2-3 oz each time! Is he just waking up and feeding out of habit? Is there anything I may be able to try to either help him to eat more at each feeding or wake up less? Do you think he will be sleeping through the night soon?

landons.mama

Asked by landons.mama at 1:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• absolutely not! at 8 weeks they still need to eat....sleeping through the night for a baby is 5 hours, not 8 or 10 like we would like. He needs to eat on demand at this age.....I wouldn't try anything different until at LEAST 6-8 months...my daughter is a year and will still get up once or twice a night...its a process, not something that happens overnight.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• As long as he's genuinely hungry and eating, you shouldn't try to make him go without. If it gets to the point where he still wants a bottle but doesn't seem to actually be eating much, it's probably more habit and comfort sucking. At that point, you could try offering a pacifier instead of a bottle if you want to. That's what made my son sleep through the night; at 11 weeks, he wouldn't eat even an ounce when he got up after 7 hours, so I gave him a pacifier and he started sleeping 12 hours, just like that. And my daughter just decided to sleep11 hours on her own at 7 weeks, I guess she figured she wasn't hungry enough to justify waking up, lol. So while 8 weeks is not too young to sleep through the night if your baby decides to do so, it is too young to push it (which I don't think you're trying to do). It could happen soon, he might go down to once a night after a few weeks, or he might stay at twice for months. No telling.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• That magical sleeping-through-the-night didn't happen for me until my child was 9 months old. :) It COULD happen soon. It is more than likely that he is going through one of the many phases that he will go through. Don't be surprised if he out of the blue wakes up every 2 hours demanding 6oz feedings again sometimes soon. Follow your child's lead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009