why is mulan considered a disney princess, and pocahontas isn't?

i was just wondering about this because my daughter has been watching mulan a lot lately. pocahontas was the chief's daughter,and was already a princess in her movie. but mulan wasn't and she married a general, not a prince. so i just don't see how she is one of the main disney princess (sleeping beauty, belle, cinderella, jasmine, snow white, ariel, and mulan) and pocahontas isn't.

julianasprotege

Asked by julianasprotege at 1:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• http://disney.go.com/princess/#/home/ they are both listed as princess, keep in mind cinderella wasnt a princess to begin with either neither was belle :)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:57 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Huge Disney fan here. Neither one are considered to be main Disney princesses. There are times when you'll see them lumped in on different merchandise but for the most part the maid princesses are Cindy, Belle, Snow White, Ariel and Jasmine and even then for the most part you won't see all of them on most merchandise. They usually just stick to four girls on stuff at a time, but sometimes you will see more of them on something if there's room so to speak. However, I have seen stuff in the past that is princess related where Pocahontas is featured on it just as the rest are.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• *oh and Aura is the other main princess (most know her as Sleeping Beauty) oh and she was actually born into royalty unlike many others like Cindy Belle, Snow White and Mulan.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• most of the time when i see merchandise it has the main five you mentioned and sometimes mulan. my daughter has a princess poster and it has mulan on it. lately i've just been wondering why there isn't any pocahontas merchandise. i don't think i have ever seen any, except maybe when the movie first came out.
    julianasprotege

Answer by julianasprotege at 2:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Sleeping Beauty's "real" name is Aurora. But I don't know why Mulan and not Pocahontas.

Answer by missanc at 2:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• ***I spelled Sleeping Beauty's name wrong. It's spelled Aurora - my apologies.

Yes, I too have a Disney princess picture and her beautiful faces adorns it. It all depends on what the merchandise is tho. Not to mention that Mulan pulled in a bit more money motion picture wise. Disney is above all things a business. They will put out merchandise that will bring them in money. If things of Pocahontas would bring in massive amounts of cash then you'd see her everywhere, much like you do with Tinker Bell or half dressed Winnie the Pooh. Also, Disney will bring out characters you don't see to often as well from time to time....

Open your eyes and you'll start to see more stuff featuring Alice from Alice in Wonderland for next year there will be a motion picture starring Johnny Depp and directed by Tim Burton. So a renewed interest in all things Alice will resurface. However, if you are interested in Pocahontas then....
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• just walk into your local Disney Store because there along side the Mulan costume is a costume of Pocahontas. It was funny cuz that is the costume choice of my BFF for our costume ball we're having in November. I will be the Blue Fairy.

Can anybody tell me what movie she was in???
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i know there was a blue fairy in pinocchio . and there is a blue fairy named silver mist in the new tinkerbell movie.

i am looking forward to the new alice in wonderland movie. i know its supposed to be after alice in grown up.

we used to have a disney store in one of the malls here but they closed it a few years ago.
    julianasprotege

Answer by julianasprotege at 2:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• There's also a blue fairy in sleeping beauty... Merryweather?
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You know...I had to wait until like the week before Christmas to find my child a Pocahontas doll! It irks me. She doesn't like the 5 mainstream princesses. She's a history geek...Pocahontas is like the great American myth, she was real though. It's frustrating. So, my baberz just swore off princesses.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009