My son and his penis......

Is it normal for little boys to have a hard penis EVERY TIME I change his diaper? He also plays with it when I change his diaper! How do I get him to stop? he also pulls on it and I know it must hurt him but I tell him to stop and he cries.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what he is doing is normal especially at his age, and it doesnt hurt if he pulls on it, if it hurt he honestly wouldnt do it. he gets hard when you take the diaper off for two reasons one he may still need to pee or two because of the cold rush of air. This is the age of self exploration, it is a natural thing all children do. both my sons did it, my daughter did it, the little girl i babysit has tried it (her mom told me so).

What will make a difference is how you react if its only during diaper changes then let him be dont react to it just ignore it if it truly bothers you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't think it hurts them to pull on their penises. I'm not sure but I've seen my son do some things that I KNOW a grown man would find hurtful. With my son (who is now 3) when I would see him playing with his penis I'd say in a sing song voice "are you playing with your pee pee"! He found it funny and it was also distracting him and he would stop it. I think it's pretty normal that they touch themselves and I didn't know of any other way to tell him to stop without making him think that touching himself was wrong.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I've heard from alot of other mothers that this is normal and nearly all kids do it, boy or girl. My daughter touches her vagina when shes in the bath or when we change her, I always ask her "Why are you touching your bits?" and she just laughs. I think she's just going through another stage like most kids do, just like when they're babies and they discover hands and feet.
    GinnyGreer

Answer by GinnyGreer at 2:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It's totally normal. My oldest son would pull on his and stretch it until it made me wince, although it obviousy didn't hurt him. Just wash his hands afterwards, it's a good way to start instilling that he needs to wash his hands after the bathroom when he's older. I wouldn't worry about trying to get him to stop, he's not going to hurt himself and there's really nothing wrong with it.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The only time I stopped my son playing with himself was before I cleaned up, especially if he had a stinky diaper. Once he was out of diapers we had a talk about not playing with it in public. I just explained that it's OK but it's a private activity. He's 4 now and I know that if his door is closed I should knock. If he's 'busy' he'll shout "don't come in mummy, I'm playing with my penis because I have a really big erection!" I don't need that much info!
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:17 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• think about it, its his only part of his body that is always covered up! its the only time he can explore it is when he is getting changed! its normal dont make him feel badly about it that could just cause problems. my son did the same thing, its ok it is very ok.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:31 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i always thought that it got big right before they peed but i'm not sure....

and i agree with the PPs that it's normal to play with it. my son stretches and bends his too. lol. DH doesn't like to watch it but it doesn't bother me, unless he has poo poo on it and i say "don't touch, there is poo poo!" lol
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009