making herself gag!

my 11month old keeps putting her fingers in her mouth and making herself gag over and over, she even threw up once! why is she doing this and is there anything i can do??

LadyDahl

Asked by LadyDahl at 2:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a phase. All 3 of mine did it and I think it's just that it's a new feeling and one of those cause and effect things for them. Luckily it didn't last long with any of mine. I tried to ignore it as much as I could and distract them, because if I made a big deal about it they thought it was funny and would do it more. So when she does it try playing itsy-bitsy spider with her or some other game that she'll need her hands for or give her a favorite toy to play with, something to drink or eat...anything to distract her and hopefully she will forget all about it soon!
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• She probably isn't intentionally making herself gag. What might be going on is that she is teething and she just isn't in pain. She's putting her fingers in her mouth, toward the back where the gums are bothering her most, to chew on them and the gag reflex is kicking in. You could try the different teething/soothing methods out there and see if those work to stop the problem, so that she won't gag/throw up anymore. That's really all I can think of. Hope you figure it out. :)
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• its a form of body stimulation that she has discovered...it is a phase I hope...my daughter has been doing it for about 3 months now. She's a year old but it has been slowing down. She does it now when she's hungry for some reason....it should pass. My daughter has vomitied a couple times from it too :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009