how to cook a shell steak roast (ny strip steak roast)

I went to the store the other day to get some prime rib for my SO bday. they didnt have any so they gave me a shell steak roast. they told me it was a better cut of meat anyway. I would kinda agree with them since it was more money than the prime rib but they give me a huge discount. My ? is do I cook it the same way I would my prime rib. It is a boneless one. Im thinking of starting out at 450* for about 15 mins than down to 250 or 300 for the rest of the time. until its about meduim rare. Does that sound about right? I've never cooked this cut of meat before. Thanks for your help!!

kitten914612

Asked by kitten914612 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I would call the place you bought it and ask them. They are the experts. I am sure they will more then willing to tell you haw to cook it.
    Happy eating!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• prepare it exactly like you would a prime rib, pound for pound.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:13 AM on Sep. 15, 2009