breastfeeding and smoking

i was 3 months prego when i found out i was prego.i never put a cigarette or a blunt back in my mouth.my baby is now 2 weeks.im breastfeeding.i want to smoke so damn bad.the rush has come out of nowhere.i would never smoke a cigarette or a blunt and then allow my baby to nurse.i just wouldnt feel right even though many people have done it its not guaranteed that it wont affect all babies.i dont want to stop breastfeeding because i do enjoy the bonding with me and my baby but its like im craving to smoke so bad and its been this way for about a week str8t now.is there anyway i can get over this craving or anything i can do.i like breastfeeding being that i know my baby is getting good nutrition and everything.i feel so bad that i want to smoke and am actually debating on stopping for a smoke.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• THey say that 4-56 cigs a day will not transfer into your milk but since you've held off so long, why not try a little longer. get a straw and pack it with cotton (like from a q tip) and drag off of it. I carried a straw around for months.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• WHOOPS I meant 4-5 NOT 4-56 LOL
    Jademom07

• this is the stupidest thing i ever heard. dont stop nursing because you want to smoke. you have been so brave to not smoke during the pregnancy and have made it so far! take this opportunity to stop for good. its whats best for your baby and your family. no matter what even if you only smoke outside if you are a smoker it is bad for your baby. bad. bad. if you smell like smoke and hold your baby they will get 2nd hand smoke. just stop! you can do it! really, your life will be happier i promise. talk to me if you need help quitting you can do it! be the best mommy you can be
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• sorry you cant talk to me if im annon lol. quit.
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• try to quit smoking your baby needs you. What if you would burn your baby or kill her with second hand smoke.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You have been good so long don't start back now. My husband is on month 14 of no smoking it has been harder than the first month when he quit. He is standing strong. You are improving your own health by not smoking and breast feeding. Your baby is going to be more healthy with a non smoker for a mom. Kids that have smokers for parents are more at risk for SIDS. Even if you don't smoke near your child that child will test for carcinogenes at higher levels than non smokers kids. My son was tested and it was not much different than a child who was standing next to a smoker. My husband was tested a couple weeks ago and his levels were finally normal first time since he was born. My husband quit because I told him I would divorce him if he didn't. I have asthma thanks to his smoking and my son had health issues to do his smoking. We both are much better since he quit. Think of your family and yourself and don't start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on Sep. 14, 2009