how come most of the main characters in disney movies don't have a mom?

or their mom dies in the movie?

Brother Bear someone threw a firey stick and she fell in water and died (according to my 4 year old) (horrific death-hunter kills her)

Cinderella mom has died before Scene One

Snow White mom has died before Scene One

Bambi (horrific death) shot dead and left behind in the woods

Bambi II dead mother, raised by father

Mama Dumbo (horrific death) locked in a cage and taken away from him forever

Pinocchio motherless with only Geppeto

Sleeping Beauty raised by three inept aunts

The Sword in the Stone father, but no mother

Jungle Bookyoung Mowgli his surrogate caregivers are father

Little Mermaid Ariel only has father, King Triton

Beauty and the Beast only has a father

Aladdin Jasmine only has a father, the king (mother captured by bandits and presumed dead, forcing Aladdin t

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• The Goofy Movie Max and Goofy are motherless

(Max’s heartthrob, the Girl Next Door, has only a father)

Pocahontas No mother. One mumbled reference to “when your dear mother died.”

The Wild no mother

The Lion King No mother. Where are all the “Mom visions” like those Simba has of his deceased lion father up in the sky?

Chicken Little Dead mother

Hunchback of Notre Dame Mom was killed before Scene One

Atlantis: The Lost Empire mom is assimilated (dead)

Lilo and Stich mother dies in car crash

Peter Pan orphaned

The Fox & The Hound mother is killed by hunters

Herbie: Fully Loaded no mother

The Rescuers absent mother

The Great Mouse Detective no mother

Enchanted mother is dead

Tarzan no mother

and Pixar Animation:

Nemo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Tarzan had a mother, she was the gorilla that saved him, the father gorilla didn't like him, he was close to his adoptive mom! Simba had a mom too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• oops, i meant to say father for lion king. and i know some disney characters had mothers, but the majority of them didn't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Hannah Montana doesn't have a mommy either...my 5 year old just told me this lol
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't know why, but it makes me not want to let my children watch those movies until they are older. Why should they have to worry about a parent dying- especially like in Nemo, Lion Kind and Bambi. How traumatic! I don't want my sons to think that when they get older, one of their parents will die.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think it shows how hard things are without a mommy, but it may just be that most writers are male and don't know how to relate to women?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I've always wondered this, too. Nobody has ever had a good answer. Maybe it's so we feel bad for the characters. who knows.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i don't remember where i read it, but online somewhere it said that shortly after making the snow white movie, walt disney bought a new house for his parents. his mother called him and complained of a gas smell/problem with the house. so walt sent people over to fix it but they did not do a good job. she ended up dying of asphyxiation a few days later. people say he felt guilty about it for the rest of his life.

maybe that has something to do with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• That's part of the original fairy tales most of the stories came from.

It was part of the culture in those days that someone without a mom was a very sympathetic character, and very prone to find trouble (or a good thick story plot) in their life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Sleeping Beauty aka Aurora had a mother. A very live one at that. So did Simba (Lion King). Lady and the Tramp-> Lady has a mother. etc etc etc. yes, alot of them at least one parent is missing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 PM on Sep. 14, 2009