Sleeping: Right Side?

I am 9 weeks and find in the middle of the night on my right side. I was told that I should be on my left. What happens if I am on my right side? And is it a bad idea to sleep on my tummy at this point?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you can sleep on any side up until you are no longer comphy, and the only reason they say to sleep on your left is it is best blood flow from your heart to baby, beacuse when you lay on your back the uterus puts pressure on your veins and arteries, but your uterus is still small, so dont worry about it, and i asked my doctor what will happen if im like 9 months along and in my sleep i roll on my back ortummy, he said your baby would wake you up or let you know that somehting is wrong, gl
    newmom092009

Answer by newmom092009 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Either side right or left.....doesnt matter you're safe. As far as sleeping on your belly, I heard as long as you're comfortable that the baby is protected by all of the fluid around it so its fine.
    Brittney357

Answer by Brittney357 at 2:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• At 9 weeks it really doesnt matter how you sleep, just anyway that you are comfortable is fine. When you get bigger, sleeping on your left side gives the best blood flow to the baby. I am 34 weeks now, and I usually sleep on my back propped up with about 3 pillows so im not flat on my back. But I have noticed that when I lay on my left side, my baby kicks and rolls around more. Like PP said, if you were sleeping and there was a problem, your baby/body would wake you up before anything happend. GL! Try to get as much sleep as possible!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I believe you can technically lay anyway you want until you are around 24 weeks. Then they don't want you sleeping on your back. I'm 38 weeks and rotate all night from my left to my right side. You will notice it is nearly impossible to sleep the entire night on your left side. Your legs will start to ache and go numb and you hip will hurt. I occasionally wake up on my back too, and don't feel anything bad. I
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• When you can't lay on your belly comfortably then its time to stop. Around mid second trimester lying on your back may become uncomforatble and the weight of the uterus starts to presson the Inferior? vena cava -- which restrics blood flow-- and it is recommended to sleep on the right or left. There is nothing wrong with laying on the right, though the left is better because it is the position that has the most unrestricted blood floor and is best for managing blood pressure as your heart doesn't have to work as hard to get blood to where it needs to go.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009