I would love some suggestions for a gift i am making

I am making my friend's baby a cloth book for his first birthday. I was thinking about doing a "vegetable soup" book; each page would have a veggie on it. I'm undecided on whether or not to give the veggies some personality, or just funky patterns instead of solids. But my main unresolved idea is about the book shape. I was thinking about making it into the shape of a big stew pot...but I dunno..what would it look like? a rectangle angled ontop? lol I'd love some ideas! Even if you can expand from the veggie soup idea into something else, ideas welcome!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would do each vegetable a solid color so that the baby can learn their colors. Maybe a different number on each page to also teach counting. I kinda like the stew pot concept. Maybe just have a large stew pot on one page and the different veggies that will go into the stewpot on the opposite page. With a story like "Mrs. So and So is making vegetable stew. In the pot goes one red tomato." Next page says "Now Mrs. So and So is adding two large white potatoes." etc.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 10:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• GREAT IDEA! that sounds very much like a "my first recipe book" =)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You could also make the book into a basket shape, where all the veggies are stored. I would get funkey fabric for each veggie and have them on a solid background, I also like the idea of having a number on each page to help wit counting. If you didn't want to go the veggie route tou could do farm or zoo animals, that would also be cute. If farm animals, the book could be shaped like a barn.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 11:35 AM on Sep. 15, 2009

• sounds awesome!! i think it would be cute if the veggies had faces, but that might just be me
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 15, 2009

• I think your pot idea is great. Make a lid that velcros closed. Again great idea!
    Di56

Answer by Di56 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 18, 2009