food stamps and healthy eating

for those that say we should tell them what they can or cannot buy and its not free food and its our taxpayers money.. so tell me if they have a set amount of cash and lets say they buy all healthy stuff at the end of the day they still spent that x amount of cash so telling them to eat healthy solves what? not how much is spent? if its about what they spend if they spend the same amount but only healthy.. its still that same X amount at the end of the day? is it not

ifihadjessysgrl

Asked by ifihadjessysgrl at 2:53 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

• if a person gets 200 a month in food stamps and does NOT have extra cash and that is what they solely use for their food.. if they use that 200 on healthy food OR junk food at the end of the day.. they still use that same 200.. yes they get more if its healthy food i grant that.. im not arguing if they get more when eating healthier... im not talking more food for your buck, im talking about women that think they need to say that they shouldn't get junk food on it.. cause its on their dime.. well isn't them eating healthy on their dime 2? yet they only bitch if they are eating junk on their dime.. if you have 200 in fs. you have 200 in fs. when its spent its spent its gone vamoos weather you spent it on healthy food or on junk food
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 4:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I get food stamps and I'll buy whatever I damn well please. I buy diet soda, I buy an ocassional candy bar. I buy Gerber snacks for my daughter. This is America, and in America, we have the right to make our own decisions. The way I eat is no one's business.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• ummm anon im on your side... so breath and calm down! the question obviously went way over your head
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 3:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't get foodstamps and honestly don't care what you buy. I don't understand why a parent woudn't want to buy the best food for their child they can. I spend 400 a month on groceries most I know on FS get about 500-600 a month. They tell me they cannot afford healthy food their family is the same size as mine and I manage to buy only healthy foods for 400 a month. If a person wants to eat crap they should at least be honest about it. I feel for the kids what we eat affects us in so many ways. It can affect how a child learns, grows and their health. Nothing wrong with an occasional fresh baked cookie or a healthy snack. Chips, soda and other crap is so unnecessary and does cost more. To each their own buy what you want with my money just don't expect me to pay more for healthcare because your lard butt is in the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The question is irrelevant because eating healthily is cheaper than buying a load of junk food. Say you have $2 to spent on food. You can buy a cheap TV dinner or you could buy ingredients and make a huge bowl of soup or chili that can feed a dozen people. You could buy tea bags or lemon juice and sugar and make gallons of ice tea or lemonade or you could buy one bottle of soda. Even something as simple as buying a block of cheese instead of sliced or shredded or whole carrots instead of baby cut carrots will save you a chunk of change over time.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:30 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• its not irrelevant.... so many bitch on here saying eating junk food on my dollar blah blah well no offense if they eat junk or healthy its still on your dollar? so why should you care so much WHAT they buy in the end it is still the same amount of money healthy or non healthy
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 3:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• also to the anon i only get 230 a month for 3 people on FS
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 3:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• A lot of people wouldn't need food stamps if they just ate healthy food and the ones who still need it would need less. It's not the same amount of money. I see people using food stamps and then handing over as much cash as I spent on my food altogether without food stamps. They could just use that cash to buy real food instead of a pile of junk (the loud boastful ones with a wad of cash are always buying junk) and not need to be on food stamps at all.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• umm we actually do eat healthy i have diabetes so its a big thing here to eat healthy and we still get food stamps, but yep i buy diet soda now and again with it, my question is NOT who should have it and who should not.. but simply that in the end of the day they are spending the same amount of cash from your "tax payers" dollar.. btw i work and so does hubby so we pay taxes 2
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 3:56 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't know how to make this any simpler. As I've said twice already, it's not the same amount of money. Someone buying a bunch of TV dinners, junk food, soda, and other expensive items can easily spend $800 on groceries for four people for the month. Someone who is buying healthy food like beans, veggies, and rice can buy groceries for 4 for the month for $200.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:39 PM on Sep. 14, 2009