This is very important! Please answer!

My DD is 22 months old & has recently started BITING & HITTING! I tell her we do not hit or bit, then I make her say sorry, & then I put her on time out. If she keeps doing it, I will spank her bottom one time.
But NOTHING seems to be working! I could spank her all day ( I would NEVER, I'm just trying to illustrate how bad this is), yell all day (again, I would NEVER), put her in time out ALL day, say no until I am blue in the face, but none of it seems to make a difference!
How do I get her to stop?! I am completely desparate! Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Haha.. Bite her back.. Not hard enough to draw blood or anything.. But to show her that it hurts. Or spank her legs to show her that hitting hurts. Time out doesn't work with a problem like that! I have four children. 12, 8, 6, 3. My now 6 year old used to bite and would hurt little neices and nephews so I bit him back. I didn't draw blood or leave a mark, but to show him that it hurts and that cured it instantly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:02 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• This is normal behaivor and very characteristic of a toddler that age. I read in a parenting book that you should press their arm or hand against their teeth firmly, but not too hard when they bite you. This will show them how their teeth feel. When they hit, hold their hand still and say no very firmly and then show them how to use gentle touches and praise them for gentle touches. I would also isolate a child who behaves that way. Sometimes just letting them play in their room by themselves is more of a punishment than sitting in time out for a couple of minutes. Hope this helps.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• do not laugh
    scold and a smack
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I stopped my DD with a bite back and pinching back. Seriously this worked better than anything else did. All I did was tell that we don't bite b/c it hurts and I showed her and I did the same thing with pinching. I haven't had any issues with this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• exactly, bite her back, or pop her on the mouth. when you spank her, get her thigh, not her butt. the diaper/pullup just softens it and they don't get the full affect. my son bit me when he was a baby. i popped his mouth, firmly said no, and he never did it again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My son bites and throws things. If he bites me I bite him back. not hard enough to bruise him but rnough to show that it hurts. with the throwing I make him sit down and say he is sorry.
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 9:50 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Um, biting back and hitting back only show your toddler that it is ok to do those things. When my daughter bit me last I cried, I really worked up tears and let her see me upset and then I told her that hitting and biting hurts mommy or whoever. Show her examples of gentle touch, like stroking cheeks and hugs. Lead by example. And always have them apologize and give a hug.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 11:26 PM on Sep. 14, 2009