Getting ready to fly with a toddler on a full flight and I'm SCARED!! Any words of comfort?

The flight I'm on is FULL. My toddler will be on my lap for a 5.5 hour flight, which I'm not concerned about. I'm concerned that she will make a big fuss and that I'll get angry stares from other passengers. I'm so nervous, and I'm even thinking about cancelling my vacation!!

Do you have any words of comfort? I'm so nervous that I can barely eat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• you know a baby on a plane gets a lot of attention...I remember once when my oldest was little I was in a similar situation. I asked to be sat towards the back. We found 2 lovely older ladies who had the best time keeping my daugter and themselves occupied. If you cant change your seat now, ask when you get to the line, usually there are people happy to change when they see you have a small child...Oh and dont worry about the looks and stares, like the PP said just smile and think that in a few hours youll be on vacation and youll never have to see those people again...depending on your child and what time your flight is, maybe you can keep them up later than usual so theyll want to sleep on the plane---would never work with my dd because when shes tired the last thing she wants to do is sleep---go figure huh? but good luck and itll be worth it once you get there!
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Don't cancel, just have fun things for your child to do, maybe if you can book first class, would be less people, and more room. If others give you looks, just smile, and make the most of it.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 3:09 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Do you have access to a small hand held video game? Or a laptop with kids movies? Or a small portable dvd player? These are the things that saved us a couple of months ago when we went on a 5 hour flight with our 3yr old and 18month old.
    I usually do not let my toddlers play with video games, but this was a one time thing. Just make sure you do not leave it on the plane, we left my 10 year old's gameboy on the plane.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Too late for this but you should always book a seat for your child and use a carseat. They will be more comfortable and less likely to misbehave. When I fly the only little ones that seem to be upset are ones that are on laps the children in car seats usually sleep or play peacefully. You are also putting your child and others at risk. If you run into turbulence your child could be a projectile and be injured and injure someone else. I have witnessed this first hand on an international flight. Mom fell asleep was holding her baby still but the turbulent happened suddenly her baby came right out of her arms hit the top of the ceiling then its head hit the head of three other people. All were treated for head injuries. I would see if you can get a seat for you child get on a waiting list and fly safely with your child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009