What are your solutions to tattle telling?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not sure. My 3 year old son will often tell me that his 2 year old sister is doing something she shouldn't be. BUT, usually when he tells, he's done something also so I'm kind of stuck trying to figure out what he's done and getting his sister to quit what she's doing at the same time. I don't want either one to think that telling the truth or "tattle telling" is bad so I am not trying to break them of it.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I always asked my kids, when they tattled, if they would like to be Tattled ON by someone else. They of course would say no. So I would say thank you for the information, but from now on, no more tattling, or One toy would be taken away for "X-amount of time" It still happens even though they are older, but now it's because they are really trying to get revenge on each other, not because they got feeling hurt or something. They are older boys now, what can I say. I still hold to my, toy disappearing rule though, lol. and they still listen.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Nothing, because sometime tattling is your best source of information. My 33yr. old has been tatting since she learned how to talk,we now call her mouth all mighty, she will call me and tell me things her sisters did,and they are all grown,lol. I really didn't punish for tattling,most kids think,that they are doing right,what,if you have 2 kids and a newborn,one child tries to pick-up the newborn,wouldn't you want the innocent child to tell you,so you have to be very careful,when you discipline for tattling.

lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 5:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I don't respond to it. I teach preschool and I have a tattletale turtle that the kids tattle too. I only respond when someone is hurt, hurting someone else or something is being broken, otherwise the kids work it out themselves. I will start out the year giving them verbal cues as to what to say but I stay out of it. If I responded everytime a kid tattle, I wouldn't get anything done all day. I have the kids for 3 hours and cannot respond unless someone is hurt or something is broken. If someone tattles when they shouldn't be, they are disciplined for tattling when they could have worked it out themselves.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 14, 2009