Are parents involved in their children's education?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well I plan on homeschooling my children......so i better be involved lol......but it is sad how many parents dont care what their kids are doing until a teacher is telling them they're messing up or they walk across a stage with a diploma.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 5:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I would have to say no. But not because we don't want it but because we don't have the time. For families where both parents work I don't think there is enough time to dedicate it to the children. Sad!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Um, yes. I am. I volunteer at my kids school. I am on the PTA. I help with homework, go on fieldtrips and other stuff...
    Was this what you meant?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:15 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• no not all parents are involved w/ their children but i would have to say i am.
    scooterpooter

Answer by scooterpooter at 3:16 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• yes i am involved...a parent can say theyre not bc of time issues or whatever but they havent tried hard enough. I think a lot of parents arent involved because they are just plain lazy. the public school system has TONS of cracks for a child to fall through w/out a parent involved.

Sooo to answer your question, yes and no. some are and some arent.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 3:18 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• some are and some arnt.. the question would be are you? cause im in the some arnt.. i help with home work, but i dont work with him like i should..
    ArlieBeeMee

Answer by ArlieBeeMee at 3:21 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I think a better question would be "Are American parents vested in their children's educations?". While the answer would be the same, some are and some are not, the concept is vastly different. It doesn't matter if you are involved in school activities, a member of the PTO or if you go on school fieldtrips as much as it matters whether or not you talk to your children about their education. Asking about their day, Asking if they've done their homework & looking at it, knowing about your child's assignments & keeping track of them by asking your kids "Did you finish XX?" or "How's the book report coming?" lets your child know that education is important to you, therefore should be important to them.

You don't have to be the most involved parent to influence your child's education, just a present parent, as in present in their lives by showing an interest in what they are doing, not just how well they are doing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I am.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• when both hubby and I worked I still sat every night and did homework with my kids, took lunch breaks or personal time to be at the school to help out ( i also worked for the school services at the time) Now as a SAHM I am there as much as i can be, I have to divide my time between 3 classrooms and two schools so I do what i can at each school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I am VERY involved in my childrens education, the teachers have even offered me a seat in the classroom should I want to sit in a day or week with my teenagers. I think that it is our responsibility, as parents, to make sure that our children are educated and are able to become self sufficient, responsible adults. I also think it is our responsibility to make sure that we never give up on our children, after all, we brought them into this lovely world :)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 4:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009