When to start finger foods?

My daughter is 6.5months, and she eats lots of purees and cereal. When should I try to give her finger foods? I know it's still too early, but when is it okay? She does eat mum mums with no problem, but those dissolve and mush up really quickly.
I let her chew on a piece of mango, while I held it and she seemed to enjoy it more than when I spoon fed it to her mushed up.
What did you guys do?
Thanks :D

BambiF

Asked by BambiF at 3:20 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You know the best of your DD so just follow her signals and do what you think is okay.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• well lots of the baby stuff they can use finger foods they state on back .. least on gerber.. like starts to pull themselves up ect, also try like avocado chunks or banana chunks they are soft enough to try and see if she is ready, i personally waited till 7- 71/2 months but i have a huge fear of choking
    ifihadjessysgrl

Answer by ifihadjessysgrl at 3:23 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• As old as she is you can start to try more stuff I would think. Just make sure that the chunky things you give her, can immediately go mushy when they get in her mouth. Banana, avacado, mango(as you said) and peaches too(when ripe/squishable) are great chunky finger foods. As long as everything is ripe enough, you won't have a problem. She'll be able to chew and mush to her hearts content and will probably like it more than the puree stuff.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:34 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• We started offering finger and table foods at 6 months. By 9 months they were totally on table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• you can start now just make sure anything you give her is cut into small pieces about the size of a pea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• You can start with the mushy foods like banana and avocado, then we moved into cooked down fruits and veggies like apples, pears, carrots, green beans, really any favorite baby food flavor. I just boiled them until they were really soft and stored them in the cooking liquid to keep nutrients- our daughter loves eating them.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009