Getting my 13 month old to drink milk!! HELP!!!!

My son is 13 months old and he is still breastfeeding which is fine by me, but family thinks otherwise.
He has never taken a bottle, ever. I will give him a sippy of water or juice and he does take sips but never gulps.
I need some tips or tricks on getting him to drink milk from a sippy. He drinks it when I give him a cup but I hold the cup..
Should I just try the cup instead?
I want to have him weaned *hopefully* by november.. if not then at least by 20 months!
Thanks!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try a straw cup.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:36 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The trick I learned was sitting down and drinking with my dd. I didn't breastfeed and she switched off formula really quickly (11.5 mos I couldn't get her to drink anymore after trying to get her to drink milk from the time she was 8 mos). But after she quit drinking formula I couldn't get her to take a sip of milk so I tried sitting with her and drinking it with her. Sometime's it's in a sippy, sometimes I use a cup and a straw. This is the ONLY way I can get her to drink milk.

Congrats on breastfeeding so long and do what you feel is right when it comes to weaning!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Get a colorful cup, with a staw/lid, that is just for him. So it's special. And maybe you could write his name on the outside of it or something. My kids always loved when I did things like that. They still do. You could tell him it's his special, big boy, MILK ONLY cup, when you give it to him.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:44 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• i got a sippy from dollar general it has a nipple like top on it,i also breastfeed and have my 15 month old down to one feeding when she goes to sleep. she wouldnt drink milk either for a while,try putting milk out for him and nothing else,ill leave her cup out for 15minutes if she hasnt drank any of it i put it back in the fridge and pull it out later.also there are other ways for ur baby t o get dairy,try yogurt,pudding,etc.if u need help weaning,let me know i might be able to help
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 3:46 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My son self weened at 13 months but he would not drink milk unless it was warm so now hes 33 months old and drinks warm cows milk and wont have it any other way. At first he refused to take any kind of sippy including the soft nipple ones but you just have to give it some time. Right now your son should be getting about 16 oz of milk a day I believe and the rest should be food so during his meals just give him a sippy and trust me one day he will take it in the mean time just really try and encourage it. Gl :)
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I'd try the straw sippy cup and if all else failed, go directly to a regular cup. It can be messy but if it works, so be it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• He doesn't *NEED* milk. He can go without it. Milk is a convenient source of some vitamins and calcium, but it is not necessary. You can get the same vitamins from a well balanced diet. If he doesn't like it, I wouldn't force it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:54 PM on Sep. 14, 2009