Anal swabbing at 34 weeks?

The doctor mentioned at my next appointment i'd have an anal swab to look for bacteria, anyone have any more insight/details on that one?

Sounds great.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:35 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yeah it's for Strep B. It's standard procedure. Nothing to worry about. It sounds much worse than it is. It's quicker and less invasive than a Pap Smear
    msfila1980

Answer by msfila1980 at 3:40 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yep, it's to check for Strep B. I actually had/have strep B... no big deal at all if ya do have it. Oh and the swab is not that invasive at all.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:37 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• The test is for Group b strep From what i remember it was quick easy and painless. If you have group b it can cause many problems for a newborn some even life threatening, menegitis, blind ness to name a few things. here is a link that explains it. http://www.womenshealthcaretopics.com/strep_b.htm

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I didn't get mine till I was 36 weeks. It really isn't anything to worry about. They do a vaginal swab and then a rectal. My doctor did it so quick. She just wiped one and then the other. They really just swab the outside area of your rectum. They don't stick it in. Seriously, it is nothing compared to the cervix exams you are about to get. :)
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 3:41 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I had strep b too.. I never even heard of it until i was pregnant. i didnt even realize my doctor did it! haha. they just give you medicine when your in labor. my question is why isnt strep b talked about more than it is?!?...
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 3:45 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Yeah i remember that one its just to check to see if there is anything that could cause you to get an infection really quick or to see if you have strep b my doctor let me do it myself when i went to the bathroom its nothing really big so dont stress about it
    mommy2b924

Answer by mommy2b924 at 3:48 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• It should be talked about more. My friend's baby had an unknown heart defect. The mom was not tested for group B Strep. The baby died 23 hours after being born because her body couldn't handle both problems. If the mother had been given the antibiotic while in labor, her baby would have lived.
    All women NEED to be tested!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:49 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• GBS (group b strep) is a common digestive flora (so not sure why they are doing an anal swab), which can be found in the vagina of many women. GBS can cause serious problems for mom and baby, however the percentages are VERY low. 1 in 1000 babies born to mothers with no known risk factors may become ill. 1 in 400 babies born to mothers testing + for GBS in pregancy may become ill. 1 in 300 babies born to mothers who test + in labor will become ill. 1 in 100 babies born to mothers who had previous babies with GBS may become ill. Some 5% of babies infected with GBS die. Info comes from my midwife.

There is more than one way to treat vaginal GBS before birth. If your treat GBS at home (personal recommendation), request to be retested: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsAlt.html.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Everyone is right... its type B strep. But I didnt get mine til 36 weeks and have never heard of the test at 34 weeks
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• 34 weeks is awfully early. The vast majority of people have the bacteria at some point and then recover on their own and then would be negative. If you intend to have the test later and closer to the due date is better. So if you test positive at 34 weeks , if you decide to have it done, you can insist that they do another test closer to your due week so that you aren't given antibiotics you don't need.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009