Hi. I would just like to know HOW MANY MOMS are OUT THERE that have a teenage SON who has a PDD, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Asperger Syndrome? NG, words cannot DESCRIBE or DEPICT.

Not only is it TRYING ENOUGH when one has a so called "NORMAL" teenager, but together with them being classifed as MULTIPALLY DISABLED (IEP), & being of "SPECIAL NEEDS" it IS so EXHAUSTING both mentally & emotionally on the parent(s). My partner & myself find ourselves SO DEPLETED MENTALLY, & even physically at times.
AS (Asperger Syndrome) is EXTREMELY difficult on the person who has this disorder.
Aspie's lack social skills, & often DO have learning disabilities besides. This is so difficult & challenging for the family. Depression & low self-esteem usually DO go hand-in-hand for them. My son had been IN & OUT of HOSPITALS & E.R's late last year thru the first 4 months of this year. So heart-breaking! His SUICIDAL IDEOLOGY has stopped, & since May he receives IN-HOME THERAPY. Parents also take part in the therapy. PLEASE DO FEEL FREE to answer me, & OF COURSE ANY comments or things YOU'D like TO SHARE, are MOST WELCOME

PurplPashin

Asked by PurplPashin at 3:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I feel your pain. My daughter is 12 and has Aspergers and it drives me absolutely insane. Its not just the frustration but the guilt I feel when I lose my patience with her, as even getting routine information out of her about her day, her friends, etc is a chore as she can't really interpret what's important and what isn't. She also struggles with language and reading, because she takes things so literally and can't interpret people's intentions or context. I am terrified of her being a teenager because she does not question people's motives and tends to just go along with whatever her friends are doing. She can't interpret social cues so she pretty much waits around for someone to tell her what to do.

Sounds like you are having a bad time, but are doing all you can. Be strong, there are other mom's going through the same thing! Keep on fighing for him, it will get better.
    StrayMom

Answer by StrayMom at 8:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I just want to ask you if there are any support groups for you. At a hospital or community ctr. Your local newspaper might have ads. for this. This could help you a lot.. Like strayMom said be strong and keep fighting for him. Mary
    Timberly

Answer by Timberly at 8:16 AM on Sep. 15, 2009