Feeding my baby ...

So when you start solids I was told to feed my son cereal in the morning then in the afternoon give him veggies and night fruit. He is on stage one food. But then in a few weeks I'm suppose to give him meats (baby food) so do I give him meat and veggies at lunch?? In the morning cereal and fruit baby food?? It's my first baby and I really would like some help with this thanks. I am still giving him formula every 4 hours (6 oz). He is 5 months old and I don't want to talk about if I should or shouldn't feed him solids the Dr. said it was fine and I'm going to do it, I just want to do it right. Thank you :)

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 3:55 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Stop buying stage 1 jars and get stage 2. They're the same thing, just a bigger jar. Put half in a bowl, feed it and put the jar in the fridge for the next meal. You'll save a TON of money. Just run the gambit of single ingredients before doing the combination dinners.

You only should do one new food a day, for several days. You can do it in any order, at any time you want. (I put them all in the cupboard in alphabetical order and did it that way)

Once you have a few tried and true foods, you can give them at any meal you want. I didn't do meats until they were eating table foods, then we gave them bites from our plates. (jarred meats were nasty and my oldest refused them...so I didn't bother)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• I didn't realize there was meat foods until my daughter was 9 or 10 months. She was eating more at a time, so it was easy to do a meat and a veggie at the same time. Plus at that age since she was in the higher stages, some came with mixed meats and veggies. I started mixing fruits with the cereal pretty early on then would do veggies at lunch and either or at dinner. You could do the same and have cereal/fruit, then veggie, then meat sort of thing. Or offer smaller amounts and offer both veggie and a meat at lunch and veggie and a fruit at dinner. I don't think it matters much though. At this age, it's not about the type of food so much as it is about introducing the concept of eating and introducing a variety of foods over time. Since formula is so healthy (please no comments from the peanut gallery), food isn't necessary. So just have fun letting your child explore the differents tastes and texture.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• There really is no right or wrong way, as long as he's getting formula first, then offering solids, just feed the solid on demand.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• He already eats the whole jar of stage one baby food and opens his mouth for more should I give him stage two then also??
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 6:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009