Spelling list...1st grade?

What type of words are on your first graders list? My son just came home with a list of the, cat, sat, etc. To me this is very easy...too easy!! I asked him to spell each word and he did it on Q. Just curious to know what other schools are getting....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Sep. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Since tests have shown that the higher level cognitive sections of the brain (such as reading) don't become active in most children till 8-10, I don't think those words are too hard. I think its actually more damaging to expect kids in kindergarten to read at any level. Since your son is advanced, I would suggest you give him some extra tutoring at home to keep him from getting bored.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• That is the same on my sons spelling lists also. It is so frustrating mainly because they are all words he had in spelling last year. I understand reveiwing some of the more difficult words, but come on, its the 6th week of school they should be past reviewing 3 letter words by now.
    ljmcmichael

Answer by ljmcmichael at 4:07 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• sounds too easy to me, but i was a really good reader. i think kids should be reading on that level at like 4 or 5 honestly, but thats just my opinion. i can see why you think its too easy. i get the point of not cramming their brains with too much too fast, cause that kinda happened in my school and its not good for remembering something long term, but still, "cat" in 1st grade seems kinda silly to me
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 4:08 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• In first grade, the spelling words start with basic Consonant-Vowel-Consonant words. An example of the starting point for these first grade spelling lists for the start of the year are: DAD and MOM. Children then start to expand the list by working through "word families". From DAD, in first grade spelling, the curriculum, worksheets, and then spelling tests would cover BAD, SAD, HAD, and MAD. Also, they might vary the vowel and go to DID. A list of first grade spelling words might start with CAT and include BAT, FAT, and SAT as well as CAR and BAR. In first grade, spelling skills should grow to cover the blends such as T plus R make the TR sound such as in TREE. F and R blend to make the FR sound in FROG.

Try giving him your own spelling list. This site is great for grade specific words.

Cassieniccole

Answer by Cassieniccole at 4:10 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Most 1st grade teachers use the Dolch list as their spelling words. These words are the most used in library books, magazines, newspapers, school books, etc. Your child's teacher may be doing a review of the "at" family. If you feel that in the next few weeks that your son is not benefiting from this review or that he may be ready for the next set of words, ask his teacher for the results of the frequency test or other reading assessment that she should have done at the beginning of the year. He may be ready for the next level.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:14 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Well of course it is easy to you. He is learning them and they will get harder words. That is just warming them up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• My son is in 2nd grade and his spelling words are about that with a couple more challenging words tossed in (they are even called challenge words...this week it is picnic, last week it was penguin which he really had trouble with).
    My 1st grader hasn't started spelling words yet but I remember from my son last year that they were all 3 letter words the first couple of months and only 6 or 7 each week.
    Their vocab words were much harder but they weren't expected to be able to spell them, just recognize them when they were reading.
    My son struggled with reading last year until they started spelling. He aced every test for the first couple of months and his reading improved drastically. He still struggles but does well remembering his spelling words.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:33 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• Justanotherjen, your son must be in a private school because my son had the same thing and he is in second grade but we are in Cleve.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• They go to a Catholic school but my oldest went to public for 1st grade and had similar lists with 5 challenge words every week.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:28 PM on Sep. 14, 2009

• That's insanely easy. I remember getting much harder words in kindergarten. One of my words was cheek which I remember because we had to use the words in a sentence and my dad suggested "I have four cheeks." which I rejected because we weren't allowed to use plurals of the spelling word.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:52 PM on Sep. 14, 2009